On the road again. The bike and me!

CA members' and friends' choppers... Discuss and show off your chopper here. Send your photos and description to our email address

Moderator: Prof

DaveB
Interests: Cars and bikes. Old ones, from when they were made from steel.
The kids are old enough to be a pillion passenger now so it's time to get back onto a bike.

On the road again. The bike and me!

Post by DaveB » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:04 pm

Hi all.

After lusting after a cool bike for the last few years and saving every spare $ to make it a reality the time has arrived. 8)
Months of searching Ebay, Gumtree, Bike Sales, Etc found lots of good bikes that were either way over budget, a long way away, not right, or not going to get SA rego without major re-working. Then a post on Facebook (yeah, i know) turned up a couple of local possibilities.

This bike now calls my shed home. A 750 4 with 4" over forks, a bit of moulding on the mostly stock frame, Harley rear guard, Hexagon oil tank, some extra chrome and a few other nice period custom touches. I'm not sure how long ago the bike was built but it looks to have been done well as it has aged gracefully.

I believe it was built in Adelaide so maybe somebody will recognise it? It has been parked and un registered for 7 years before now. It has a couple of minor gremlins to sort out, as expected, but will be road trip worthy very soon. I did a few runs up and down the road on Sunday, the kids both love it, even if we did have to stop due to a fuel blockage :roll: . The tank has now been flushed and the filter in the fuel tap cleaned out.

This is going to be a great summer! 8)

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Re: On the road again. The bike and me!

Post by Prof » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:27 pm

A nice looking bike... frame looks strong and well made too. Will look forwards to seeing it in the flesh.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:42 pm

Yeah the bike looks good, enjoy............
Youngblood

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:57 am

Nice pick-up Dave. Looks very rideable.
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

DaveB
The kids are old enough to be a pillion passenger now so it's time to get back onto a bike.

Post by DaveB » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:10 pm

Cheers for the positive comments.

The bike is hardly a radical chopper but has enough modifications and period cool factor to make me happy. The dilemma now is do I keep it as found with it's true 70's style and patina or do I make more changes? Billet doesn't come anywhere near my shed so it definitely won't get a modern makeover but a few things like a taller set of handlebars, a more stepped king/Queen seat, taller sissybar, and swapping some tarnished steel bolts and engine fasteners for stainless ones is on the cards.
One of the gremlins has been sorted tonight, the front brakes have now been bled through and feel much better, they may even work effectively :)
The current seat is nice and comfy and in perfect condition but doesn't fit up to the tank very well or suite the style of the bike. There is another seat that came with the bike that looks better, it may be the one the bike was built with, but it needs a bit of reshaping to get it to sit on the frame better and be more comfortable. At the moment it digs into the inside of your thighs when your feet are on the ground, not so bad when riding but still not great.

s Bike 4.jpg

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:43 am

I say make more changes, research bikes that have that true 70's style you like and go from there. Also change that seat if it's not comfy don't keep it, simple. Make the bike yours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Youngblood

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:45 am

I like it the way it is, or was meant to be.
But, I also like your list of changes, taller sissy bar, pull back bars etc.....and you MUST have a comfy seat. King and queen sounds awesome.
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

DaveB

Post by DaveB » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:51 pm

Yep, the seat has to change. The one in the pics looks fairly new and although it's good to sit on and in good condition it doesn't fit up to the tank nicely or have any particular style to it. Another seat came with the bike so that might be this weekends project to reshape it so it fits on the frame better and try to soften the edges a bit. Longer term project will be an all new seat, king/queen style with a more defined step between rider and pillion and include a back rest.

Browsing through the forum a few days ago and found the pics of Prof's 750 4 with the tall king/Queen seat so that might be used as a bit of a styling cue.

Prof

Post by Prof » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:24 am

If you are going to do a few trips or ride the bike a lot a sissy bar about 700mm or a bit more is great for sitting a bag or pack against and is much more comfy for the passenger.

Most practical set up is to use one or more pads on the sissy bar rather than a backrest as part of the seat... two reasons; allows pillion seat to spring with the bumps (it doesn't have to drag down the back rest section as it moves, A couple of gaps gives more attachment points for octos.... also easier to do and a common Aussie 70's solution... see photo of backrest on my red shovel...

http://www.choppersaustralia.com/forum/ ... =44&t=7933
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

DaveB

Post by DaveB » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:36 pm

Cheers for the tips Prof. That's something I wouldn't have thought of about the seat and backrest.

The seat is something I might have a play with tonight, after having another look at the fuel system. It's not blocking up anymore but still not entirely happy either. At least the bike starts first kick now. Just need to tune it better and evict another gremlin :)

Prof

Post by Prof » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:06 pm

Re fuel system I assume you have cleaned sieve in fuel tap. If it is clogging up may be rust in tank. It can be worth putting a couple of table spoonfuls of metho in tank to break up any water in there. Fuel levels in float bowls will affect running of bike. Assume you have cleaned out jets and blown out passages in carbies.

If there is an air leak in intake manifolds between carbies and motor, bike will not maintain an even idle even though it will run well above idle. Loose slides will also affect idle.

Another trick can be a blocked vent in fuel cap... the engine will run for a while and then starve because a vacuum develops in the tank.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

DaveB

Post by DaveB » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:17 am

There was certainly a couple of those issues to begin with. The tank has been flushed out and the fuel tap pulled to bits and cleaned, yes the screen was blocked. The previous owner had the carbs checked out before I bought the bike. It had been parked for 7 years so they were all blocked and stuck, They might need looking at again just incase something from the tank has made its way through in there. It shouldn't because there are inline fuel filters in the fuel line between the fuel tap and carbs too.
Recon I'll be doing a few more short runs up and down the road close by before taking on a longer ride yet.

Prof

Post by Prof » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:01 pm

Check that plugs are clean and not too cold... will allow them to carbon up.

Also be aware that brand new plugs can be faulty or break down within a few miles.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

DaveB

Post by DaveB » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:46 pm

The plugs are new but I havn't pulled them out for a look. So may be worth a look.

Did a run into town and back today, bike started first kick from cold without any choke, ran good to begin with but as it came up to full running temp it seemed to run rough. Won't idle properly and blowing black smoke on a rev. So, I guess it's flooding once hot. Going to try to get it tuned properly sometime this week.

Swapped the seat over for the spare that came with the bike, definitely looks better and is OK to sit on after a bit of re-shaping. The seat fits far better up against the tank too, the other one was rounded at the front and showed a huge gap under the back of the tank.

Prof

Post by Prof » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:02 pm

If it is starting from cold without choke I would say it is running very rich which would account for smoke (if it doesn't smell like oil) and poor running. All CB's I have had have always needed full choke from cold and taken four or five miles to properly warm up and run without choke. Are air cleaners may be clogged and need new filter material which is easily obtainable from trail bike shops.

Seat definitely looks more comfy and better fitting.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “Your Chopper Pics”