Sporty Build

CA members' and friends' choppers... Discuss and show off your chopper here. Send your photos and description to our email address

Moderator: Prof

FTWMC01

Sporty Build

Post by FTWMC01 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:05 pm

Just scored this old sporty frame today :D and was wondering if anyone knows the make. At present it is a plunger frame but will probably make into a rigid.
Will be off to the blasters to see what's under the paint then the build will start

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Re: Sporty Build

Post by Prof » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:22 am

C&G in US were the first to make them in mid seventies I think. Same system also copied by Ed's Chopper Works. Another US company also made them. From what I have read, and seen of a couple of examples in Aus, they didn't work well... the wheel twisting sideways badly on bumps... very squirrely. Examples I have seen were all bolted to make them rigid.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

FTWMC01

Post by FTWMC01 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:50 am

Thanks for the info
That was what I was thinking of doing, would look great with a nice jampot shock look and some sort of spike nut on top.
Springer front, maybe some invader mags and a peanut tank.
Better get it blasted first though

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:13 am

If you are talking about second hand original seventies Invaders, be aware that they cracked at the welds and the rims often went out of round because the 5 spokes gave insufficient support... ie check anything you buy really carefully. I was reading a 1975 chopper mag the other day where the Invaders went to eight spoke to redress the earlier problems.

I think that along side the early Morris mags they are the best looking mag about.

Invaders are being built again and stronger. Hopefully the weld issues are a thing of the past...

http://www.invaderwheels.com/

Also a good article by sugar bear on bobber vs chopper. See also our Definitions page for a similar explanation...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Silent Grey Fellow

Post by Silent Grey Fellow » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:18 pm

Plunger rear ends work great on choppers at least it gives you a bit of suspension on the back end.
Silent Grey Fellow

FTWMC01

Post by FTWMC01 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:32 pm

Was considering leaving it with the rear suspension but the way it is designed would let things flex. Where the rear swing arms pivots is only light plate and I can twist the swing arm with a large shifter. Would need some redesign work in this area. Been running a rigid for the last 10 yrs and only just sold it 3 months ago so know what to expect. Had though about making a steel sleeve and bolting it into spring holder making a rigid that way or maybe welding in a section to replace suspension. Bike will be ridden regularly when completed though will not be my main ride ( the wife still loves her kidneys) but would be good if I could soften the ride a little for her. No hurry as I have time to poder at the moment and a lack of money . Had though about beefing up the plates and trying to link swingarms together to stop twist. I am considering mounting a late model 1200cc sporty motor in her so it will go okay which makes rear suspension another plus. Open to ideas

Neo Dutch

Post by Neo Dutch » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:52 pm

Each side of that suspension is independant. Only the axle tied them together. Very bad idea.

If an Ironhead motor is a tight fit in there, you won't get an Evo in.
Don't let your luggage define your travels.

Happosai

Post by Happosai » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:07 pm

Do you still have the swing arms ?

The thing you would be trying to stop is the twisting, and a way I see of doing that would be to combine the axle spacers as part of the swing arms, so each swingarm has more of a "T" or "L" shape, the wider the swing arm ( greater surface area on the axle) the less prone to flexing. I would also put in a larger diameter roller bearing at the pivot point end of the swing arms.

I would possibly go to heavier plating on the inside pivot points as well.

If you made the swing arms sit directly on the hub, then you would have to pull the wheel out by removing the pivot bolts and pulling the wheel and swingarm combo out as one, then disembling it.

Hap
I used to be Vague...................Now I'm not so sure

FTWMC01

Post by FTWMC01 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:44 am

what would happen if I made up flanged spacers that went over the axle, between the swingarm and hub. Then could remove wheel without removing swingarms.
Know anywhere where I can get new springs of varying tensions would like to play a little to get things right.
There is a bit of room around the motor with some rough measurements, don't have exact size of evo motor to work with yet though. Work that one out when I get the frame back.

Happosai

Post by Happosai » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:23 pm

FTWMC01 wrote:what would happen if I made up flanged spacers that went over the axle, between the swingarm and hub. Then could remove wheel without removing swingarms.
FTWMC01

I suppose that would work to some extent, but it all relies an the tension of the axle nut to hold it all together, that could put to much sideways pressure on the wheel bearings.
You could try that method first and if it doesnt work try my option.

If the swing arms arn't solid a crush tube in them might help too..

Remeber that there is a lot of leverage from the outside of the tyre to the axle that could spring the joints where as if it is on solid section its less likely to spring or twist.

Its a long time since I saw one of the AMEN Savior frames but from memory the axle blocks in the plunger were several inches wide as compared to the siwng arms in your frame.

Hap
I used to be Vague...................Now I'm not so sure

KBG

Post by KBG » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:00 pm

Chop it all off and make it a rigid, would save a lot of stuffing around.
some meaningless dribble

Neo Dutch

Post by Neo Dutch » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:11 pm

Or throw a loop over the tyre to link the two.

But I agree with Big Kev. Cut it all off and get Mike or Shaun to fix it up.
Don't let your luggage define your travels.

Return to “Your Chopper Pics”