Long term Triumph Chopper project

CA members' and friends' choppers... Discuss and show off your chopper here. Send your photos and description to our email address

Moderator: Prof

TriNortchopz
Interests: Choppers, nature, learning more about choppers

Re: Long term Triumph Chopper project

Post by TriNortchopz » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:12 am

Nice, looks like the machinist did a good job centering on the tubing for boring. Interested to see the next steps! Chopper New Year!!

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:26 am

I've just received a picture of the first mockup of the frame. So I'm looking forward to seeing it on the weekend to take it all in and check a few measurements. Apparently Tom took a little rake out of it just to make sure we are definitely within the 550mm rule, so we'll have to check that and how much trail we have now.

Please note this is just a mockup, and the tubing used is not what will be welded into place. The pie cuts at the bends are purely to workout angles and see how it all ties together, quickly and easily and to allow some easy adjustment. We have extra tubing to make the correct bends once the mockup dimensions are finalized.

'65 Triumph Chopper (project)
'64 Triumph Chopper (project)

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:42 pm

Have you considered shortening the bottom link for regio and then putting correct length back to allow you some extra rake. You definitely want to get as much trail as you can... at least 5" .
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:35 pm

Once the frame mockup had checked out, and we were happy with all the measurements, it was time to proceed to the next step.

I took the mockup tubing away and had the bends replicated exactly in a CNC bending machine, so our chromoly tubing has mandrel bends in all the right places.

Then once Tom had trimmed everything to fit, chamfered the tube ends and press fit the frame slugs into position, it was locked down in a jig and checked for straightness.

Then the whole lot was TIG welded together, including a new crush tube at the top of the seat post for the top of the hardtail to bolt too.

And now you can see how the finished frame is going to look

And to show just how much has changed, here's the modified front frame loop placed next to a stock one. Our Chopper frame loop has been stretch up 5", pushed out 2" and has an additional 5 degrees of rake over stock.

The next step is getting a comprehensive x-ray certification report of all the welds to satisfy the Transport Department.

Prof

Post by Prof » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:59 am

Getting there. Amazing that fresh welds have to be x rayed! In SA the engineer's physical inspection is all that is required.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:13 am

I know the x-raying is a pain in the butt and it's going to be expensive, probably set me back around $800 or so.

But the Transport Department has specifically asked for this, so I have no choice, especially considering my biggest goal with this project is to follow all their steps and get full registration in a completely transparent and above board way.

TriNortchopz
Interests: Choppers, nature, learning more about choppers

Post by TriNortchopz » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:44 am

That looks great...the tubing bends are nicely done, and the welds look amazing...fabulous progress!

What is the timeline for inspection?

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:15 pm

We did the inspection last week, and found one weld joining to the cast neck assembly had a slight crack (due to some evidence of brazing residue), another at the neck assembly has what appears to be a slight gas bubble (quite deep) but told not worth worrying about, and the weld at the join on the down tube was found to have a couple of slight cavitations deep in the join (even though the weld looks perfect at the surface).

So my fabricator ground out the welds of concern and rewelded them, and the testing company rang me this morning to say those repairs have now passed, although one just needs a quick skim with the grinder to pass the visual inspection.

So hoping to have it all sorted by the end of this week.

I can understand now why the Transport Department insists on X-Rays of such important structural welds and opposed to just a visual inspection!

Prof

Post by Prof » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:42 pm

Interesting. Whether those imperfections would in the long term cause a problem is not to be known, but if you ever try to pull even a tack weld apart, I would wonder. Still at least you now know you have perfect welds.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Wed May 06, 2020 10:04 am

After a stressful few weeks and a lot of back and forth between the certification company and my fabricator, our Chopped and stretched little frame loop has now passed the inspection stage and I have 7 pages of detailed certification reports on the frame stating an "Absence of Discontinuities" for all welds. The Engineer has been through the reports and is also happy, and now given us the go ahead to complete the whole bike.

In all, the 4 main butt welds joining the frame together underwent Radiographic Testing, while due to giometric constraints the remaining 4 butt welds and 24 associated plug welds underwent Magnetic Particle Testing, which cost about $1100.

With that behind us, Tom has cleaned up the joins in the tubing so it almost looks like it came from the factory that way

And the rolling chassis is coming back together. All we need to do now is add a kickstand, then it can come home.

I'll take better pictures of the completed roller once I have it back at home.

Prof

Post by Prof » Sat May 09, 2020 6:37 pm

Bit longer than the standard Triumph. How much did you add into the rear end and what is the ground clearance?
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Mon May 11, 2020 9:33 am

Prof the hardtail has 6" of rear stretch.

I haven't seen the roller since it's been finished but during mockup we measured the ground clearance at 105mm, but I imagine it might have dropped a couple of mm. We're cutting it close, and we still have to add a kick stand yet, but I think we'll scrape by.

Prof

Post by Prof » Mon May 11, 2020 1:26 pm

I believe the ADR on motorcycle height has changed. In SA, now, if bottom of bike clears with both tyres flat it is legal. Might pay to check.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Tue May 12, 2020 9:40 am

Yeah looking at the sa.gov.au website it states:
A motorcycle must have sufficient ground clearance so that no part of the body work or frame will contact the road when one or both tyres are deflated.
Seems like a weird way to measure ground clearance rather than just giving a dimension!? WA has not changed as they go by ADRs where possible, and for all vehicles the minimum ground clearance is still 100mm.

Prof

Post by Prof » Tue May 12, 2020 10:06 am

Yes. That means that in SA you could get away with about 2.5" which is not very safe on a Motorcycle unless its a drag bike and doesn't go around corners!
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “Your Chopper Pics”