Long term Triumph Chopper project

CA members' and friends' choppers... Discuss and show off your chopper here. Send your photos and description to our email address

Moderator: Prof

TriNortchopz
Interests: Choppers, nature, learning more about choppers

Re: Long term Triumph Chopper project

Post by TriNortchopz » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:36 pm

A 'new' front wheel - free is good! A disc with a different offset may allow an axle-mounted bracket fit in there.
What is the space between the girder legs?

That wobbly brake flange face on the hub is strange. Is the sprocket face the same? - have you measured across the hub faces to determine if there is offset on both flanges, and if so, in the same place?
Just wondering if the bearing seats in the hub were worn causing the wobble - but then i guess the whole wheel would be wobbling, not just the brake hub.

I just measured the 16" wheel on my Norton - it is only about 9" from the center to the outside of the rim, so it will fit easily into a lathe to skim the face, either in a lathe with 18" swing, or a lathe with a gap bed. I used to run lathes so big I could stand with arms stretched out holding the four jaws.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:42 pm

I've skimmed a couple of wheel flanges (with rim and tyre) on my milling machine. You are more likely to find an engineering shop with a big enough mill than a big enough lathe.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:15 pm

Unfortunately I won't know the space between the girder legs until it's rebuilt. But at least I've got something to throw in there now for *#@** and giggles as a starting point.

I'll take the rear wheel to an automotive wheel/rim repair business that also fixes Harley rims tomorrow and see if they can skim the hub face with the wheel as is, otherwise I know a few machinists with some pretty hefty machinery at their disposal. It's definitely the face of the hub that mates to the drum brake that is the issue Prof, everything else remains true and straight when the wheel spins. Very unusual...
65 Triumph Chopper (project)

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:47 pm

Prof wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:42 pm
I've skimmed a couple of wheel flanges (with rim and tyre) on my milling machine. You are more likely to find an engineering shop with a big enough mill than a big enough lathe.
Yep, just got the wheel back from Alliance Rim Repairs with the drum mounting face on the hub skimmed.

Looks pretty good and straight, but the real test will be later today when I bolt the drum backing plate and sprocket to it. Fingers crossed we're good to go now...

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:32 pm

Glad you found a place to do it as a whole. How much was the hub out?
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

TriNortchopz
Interests: Choppers, nature, learning more about choppers

Post by TriNortchopz » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:51 am

Great that those wheel guys were able to get the machining done. It looks like they took off just enough - it appears that an outer section on the top right has not been cut.
I am still thinking about how it may have happened - perhaps squeezed or whacked with the drum bolted on. This would also mean that the flange the spoke go through would also be bent - can you see any wobble there when you spin it?

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:46 pm

Good news is that this repair worked, and the drum and sprocket are spinning as straight and true as the rim.

You can see it here on YouTube: https://youtu.be/rRogD9AD2y0

Time to get this thing mounted once and for all :D

Return to “Your Chopper Pics”