Steering head bearings

Chat about choppers here. Any posts considered by forum administrators to be used by businesses as unpaid advertising will be promptly removed...

Moderator: Prof

steve

Steering head bearings

Post by steve » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:26 am

Hello all

I have an old bike frame that runs conventional ball bearings in the steering head. These are ball bearings with a inner and outer race as part of the bearing.
The original bearings are SKF# 7206 and SKF 7205.

I am considering putting in taper roller bearings.

As a result of this I have a few questions.
Is there any reason this is not a good idea?
Are they generally a drop in solution if I can get the correct sizes or do I need additional spacers between them like when a wheel has tapper roller bearings?
Can anyone recommend a good source of technical information if this question can't be answered here.

Thanks

Steve

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Re: Steering head bearings

Post by Prof » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:54 pm

Contact your local bearing supplier. Give them stock bearing numbers and ask them the same questions. From my experience the tapered rollers take up no more space than a couple of mils which is within your headstem's capabilities. However your bearing guys should be able to tell you that.

Tapered rollers take a lot more strain than balls and are particularly beneficial with extra rake. Make sure you grease them well. This can be done by hand... just a bit messy.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “Chopper Chat (includes how to post photos)”