What price a chopper...?

Chat about choppers here. Any posts considered by forum administrators to be used by businesses as unpaid advertising will be promptly removed...

Moderator: Prof

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

What price a chopper...?

Post by Prof » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:06 pm

How much is a chopper worth to a person who wants a chopper that is; raked, has extended forks, sissy bar,16" rear wheel, lowered rear end (konged or rigid) custom tank and forward controls, custom bars and headlight and in reasonable, but not pristine condition.

I've been thinking about this recently as I am regularly asked the above question. This is the kind of answer I give and I'd like you might like to comment on...

1. CB750... donor bike, ratty but with good motor would cost around $3000. Extended forks $400 (including cables), rake job $500, rear end $700, 16" wheel $300, rear guard and custom oil tank $500, custom fuel tank (including fitting $400, sissy bar $300, head light fitted and wired $150, forward controls $500, taillight fitted $150 Custom pipes $600 Total = $7450

To me this would be a bare minimum and does not include a rewire and basic single colour paint and some moulding. These prices I suggest are fairly conservative, assuming a small shop did the work plus finishing bits done by owner. A major custom shop (usually HD's only would be far more expensive.

2. Jap 80's 4 cyl... donor bike perhaps $1000 less than CB... total price $6450

3 Shovelhead HD... donor bike $8000 total price $12450

In most states engineering would add another $2000 to the above prices.

If a chopper is built entirely by its owner, his costs would be less. If selling a home built bike, the owner would want something back for his time.

Anyone else have some comments on what someone who specifically wants a chopper should be willing to pay?
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

tigerbob

Re: What price a chopper...?

Post by tigerbob » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:01 pm

I know it costs more than you initially expect.

My attempt at a budget build starting with an OIF Triumph that was already raked and with various custom touches including chroming, bates style headlight, 2 into 1 exhaust, magneto, 16" back wheel and has probably cost me an additional $2k and I'm still a long way from getting it on the road.

The initial purchase price was $5.5k and was a registered and going bike.

I've bought a few pieces and relied on a few pieces that I have collected along the way. I suppose it's still fairly cheap considering what you can spend but then it's still a way off yet. I'd imagine I'll still need to spend another $2k.

This is how it currently sits although the fishtails are photoshopped.

I still need to mount a rear guard, sissy bar, foot rests, rear braking components, chain, chain guard, seat, tail light, battery etc
'94 Dyna Convertible
'73 TR6 Tiger - chopper under construction
'71 T140v Bonneville

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:00 pm

Hmmm.......I guess something is only worth what another will pay for it.
Someone who isn't into GT Falcon's wouldn't pay 30 grand for a rusty one, but, a collector would.

My CX although not yet rego'd (or finished :( ) would be pushing 4 grand including purchase price, but there is virtually nothing on the aftermarket for htis bike, so most of it is custom made. May be a little cheaper to build an XS or CB.
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:44 pm

Triumph is looking good especially for an OIF model. Thanks for the comments. Your experience makes my estimate a bit low, though Trumpies do cost considerably more than CB750's. As BearCX says, building a bike without aftermarket parts is time consuming and if someone has to be employed to do it gets real costly. If you want a bike that fits you specifically, there is a limit to the aftermarket parts you can use to.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

tigerbob

Post by tigerbob » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:24 pm

I guess it's a bit like asking "how long is a piece of string?"

If you have to pay someone to build it, then it will be expensive but if you can scrounge parts and do the work yourself, then it could be a relatively affordable exercise.
'94 Dyna Convertible
'73 TR6 Tiger - chopper under construction
'71 T140v Bonneville

newjack66

Post by newjack66 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:06 pm

Having gone through the stress of my first build & then selling it ... My next bike will be something that some is completed or near completion ...
" ... Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil ... " - Jerry Garcia

Hustler
Interests: Bikes, boats, cars

Post by Hustler » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:53 am

I think the build costs become a memory once you throw your leg over & head out on your first ride.

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:18 pm

Bah ha ha ha ha ha...........

Nailed it.!! 8)
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

itheo58
Interests: Honda750 Santee,Yamaha RD250. 1928BSA2 stroke

Post by itheo58 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:57 pm

Looks great.What color blue is it as want to paint my bike similar to Honda 4 in picture have posted with prism tank.
Or do I keep my existing tank.
My bike came with a sprung single seat with matching mudguard seat and cover for sissy bar.
Also came with King ,Queen St.

itheo58
Interests: Honda750 Santee,Yamaha RD250. 1928BSA2 stroke

Post by itheo58 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:59 pm

Blue chopper

Return to “Chopper Chat (includes how to post photos)”