Santee Frame number

Chat about choppers here. Any posts considered by forum administrators to be used by businesses as unpaid advertising will be promptly removed...

Moderator: Prof

itheo58
Interests: Honda750 Santee,Yamaha RD250. 1928BSA2 stroke

Santee Frame number

Post by itheo58 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:43 pm

G,day fellow chopper owners,Just got my Honda 750 santee frame sandblasted and found a frame number stamped ,hidden under the primer and paint.
No one I asked could tell me if they wre stamped from the factory and did not want to paint the frame and then have to stamp it .
I intend to register the bike on historic plates first and club members advised me to just say bike is a Honda as our own club would inspect it and stamp engine number to match to keep the roads authority happy but as it turns out there is already a number. Once on club plates would be in the system if ever I decided to fully register and officilly record bike as a Honda 750. [dont create problems ,keep it simple]
The frame number was found stamped under the right hand down tube near the head stock S 00221
I just had my 1976 Yammaha RD 250 go through a blue slip to have fully registered and the only thing inspector was interested was to see seat was not loose and just copied numbers that were there already.I guess the RMS would then look up on there data base which would already be there.My biggest mistake was to cross out the word Honda and write Yamaha on the document as the inspector wrote in Honda by mistake .Had to go back and have form all redone.They love there paper work.
Any way is a few years down the track possibly but if anyone else owns a Santee frame ,then perhaps will know where to look for Vin number

XSChop

Re: Santee Frame number

Post by XSChop » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:54 am

What State you in Itheo ?
In NSW historic rego is limited to Unmodified vehicles.
I dearly wish it weren't but it's there in black and white.
Only mods allowed are for safety reasons eg seat belts etc
But other states have different rules
It's not about the Bling /:~)>
Well maybe a bit !

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:53 pm

Itheo is in Nowra, NSW.

You could leave the santee number but fill it with body filler and stamp the Honda number on the front of the steering head. Then you can always revert to the santee number if you ever need/want to by filling the Honda number in.

In SA many HOndas have no frame number due to a 70's practice of replacing frames after a bingle and not bothering to stamp original numbers back in. I'm not sure if pre 75 bikes in NSW are subject to post ADR rules. If not, you may find it easier than some other states. XS Chop would be able to advise you on that I think.

Keep us posted... and have a great new year.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

XSChop

Post by XSChop » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:41 am

Well if it's in NSW what is suggested Might work for Full Rego
but because of the No Modifications rule it won't be eligible for Historic Rego.
Even if a club were to accept it and their club registrar agree to sign the form saying it has no modifications from original factory specs (other than safety mods)
if there is ever a bingle you won't even have 3rd party personal cover (green slip)
and the Club and the Registrar can be liable ..
But even if no bingle as soon as you turn up at any event with Historic plates on heaps of other historic club members will immediately get up in arms about it.
They may not report it or the club (or they may) but they will certainly gossip about it and spread the word ...

I know this because when we set up the MAATES club to be eligible for the Historic Rego system we looked very carefully into this
because most of us have modified bikes older than 30 years.
But even we have had to reject bikes that would be "Seen" as modified by other clubs.

In TAS I believe there is a system called "Special Purpose Vehicle Registration" which allows modifications and such but not in NSW.
In NSW there has been a long running argument even over whether vehicles with LP gas conversions can be accepted.

However I dearly wish there was a system more like the TAS one in all states as it would make life much easier for all us who want to mess with things ..
It's not about the Bling /:~)>
Well maybe a bit !

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:09 pm

100% agree, with ya XSchop. If we are truly to become 'one nation', then all states should have the same laws/rules/speed limits.

Thanks for the info, too. Historic rego is a minefield in every state, I reckon. Who knows what could happen if you cross the border..........
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

itheo58
Interests: Honda750 Santee,Yamaha RD250. 1928BSA2 stroke

Post by itheo58 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:48 pm

G,day,When discussed at our club meeting no one seemed concerned as there have been bikes such as Nortons in Featherbed frame Tritons and Hondas in Rickman frames and Santee frame is made specifacly for Honda 750 .
Perhaps if frame was made in a backyard shed could be different
Some clubs can be pedantic and interept rules differently but our club rules vary from other clubs such as 65km maintenance run without need to notify registrar ,just fill in your own log book. so long as fits into our guidlines in club rules book that have been aproved by RMS should be ok. Club got in early and had approved .
So many scenarios like ride the bike at night to check headlight aim or riding bike to warm up oil if some want to be really smart but most members pretty sensible but is handy to have and no one has been picked up by constable Plod yet .
Will get President to re check but modifications has been brought up before with other members.
Would be a shame as is preserving a 70,s icon. That has been general concensus from within our club members.
Our club even allows cars on historic rego even though is a Classic and historic motorcycle club which caused some friction[What next horses ] but 3 years on from a special meeting has not been inundated with cars,just one bloke with a ute to attend swap meets or whatever.
So many what ifs brought up .The latest is helmet cameras and Vic Police confiscating film to see if rider recording speeding.
not sure if urban myth. .
I ride a 1928 BSA 2 stroke with no lights or front brakes or even a rear brake light and someone from another club reckoned required one. Checked with our club and if bike was original no worries so who knows. Will let others do the worrying.
Still a while yet till bike ready .see ya Theo

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:49 am

Man........what a minefield.

Like some of the "exclusions", warming up oil before changing it, ride at night to check headlight aim...brilliant.!
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Return to “Chopper Chat (includes how to post photos)”