Low profile helmet

Chat about choppers here. Any posts considered by forum administrators to be used by businesses as unpaid advertising will be promptly removed...

Moderator: Prof

chrisalchin

Low profile helmet

Post by chrisalchin » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:00 pm

Hey guys, I'm looking to but a new helmet, after a 3/4 (not a shorty) whats the absolute thinnest, lowest profile helmet, gotta be Aus standards (otherwise I would get a biltwell)

I heard that the RTX challenger only has 1 size shell and its the foam that varies in size between s-m-l-xl, meaning an xl would sit lower on a smaller head, can anyone shed some light on this one?

Scouser

Re: Low profile helmet

Post by Scouser » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:07 am

The lowest profile i could find was the NEX, had a Lowbrow dot approved one and was about the same, also have a Bell 500 and there is no difference.
Scouser

chrisalchin

Post by chrisalchin » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:46 pm

Cheers mate, I haven't heard of the NEX hemlets, I have been looking at the RJAYS Sturgis, and RTX Challenger. The RTX is appealing as its only $50 and I can get it in a sparkle silver finish (im trying to steer clear of black/white/matt black), But I havent been able to get a picture of a guy wearing one. And my local shops don't stock them, only the THH mushroom head helmets.

Chris

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:38 pm

I am a big advocate of 'anything but black' on bikes... it's hot in aussie summers, cops are racially predudiced and assume black indicates outlaws. Rilda and I have different shade of red helmets and the bike is orange/red... Helmets that colout cos thats what we had and what fitted.

I have to this stage, not been pulled over even thoug my shovel is fairly radical by current standards... though still almost legal... plenty of cops around me on numerous occasions and I think that the main reason is that I don't look like an outlaw.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Bacca

Post by Bacca » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:17 pm

We ride to be different only to then start conforming to our pears, my next helmet won't be black!
Got a nice silver flip visor open one but the other day realised it don't have the safety sticker on it & can't be bothered with the hassle if the man sees that, off ebay so be warned if getting a helmet off ebay many don't have the Aussie safety sticker that makes the legal here in Oz.

Neo Dutch

Post by Neo Dutch » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:40 pm

Less fashion more ridin'. The nanosecond you realise that you're heading down the road in a bad way, you'll forget about how "cool" you look.
Don't let your luggage define your travels.

chrisalchin

Post by chrisalchin » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:31 pm

trust me, I'm only interested in approved helmets. I do value my brain, however, there's no reason why I should buy a mushroom head helmet when Rjays, NEX and RTX are making thinnish helmets that DO pass Australian standards and come with the AUS/NZ safety stickers.

Return to “Chopper Chat (includes how to post photos)”