Handling issues

Chat about choppers here. Any posts considered by forum administrators to be used by businesses as unpaid advertising will be promptly removed...

Moderator: Prof

RickB56

Handling issues

Post by RickB56 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:21 pm

Couldn't find a better forum for this, so here goes.

I seem to sense a tendency for my rear wheel to be doing things on it's own. For instance, there seems to be a bit of wobble going down the road. Not constant, more like when you cross ripples in the asphalt. Not always, just something you feel as a sudden movement. Also seems that under a heavy braking, the rear wheel seems to drift to the left. Haven't checked tire pressure, but it does not seem low or soft.

Any thoughts?

surviver

Re: Handling issues

Post by surviver » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:22 pm

try checking your suspension

RickB56

Post by RickB56 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:35 pm

Yeah, was thinking maybe a shock problem.

gsand
Interests: Riding bikes.

Post by gsand » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:42 pm

I think you should go back to basics, shocks can do funny things but It would usually be predictable and constant rather than random.

All you spokes tight and true? Swingarm Bent? Wheel bearings worn? Loose Axle?

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:51 pm

Lift rear wheel off ground, and try wobbling side to side... If any movement in whole wheel, wheel bearings need replacing. If only rim moves... spokes are loose. Als check rear axle is tight.

Lift back of bike off ground and try moving swing arm from side to side... will probably need someone to hold bike while you do it.

Also check for cracks on frame.

Sounds like spokes or swing arm.

While you are at it, get your front wheel off the ground and check your steering head for any movement, your front wheel bearings and your forks for worn bushes or looseness in triple trees.

Check for steering head by trying to move front end back and forth while someone holds the bike steady. Worn fork bushes are checked the same way.

Let's know what you find out.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

fluffer

Post by fluffer » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:33 am

know how ya feel, coupla weeks back my rear end felt wobbly (insert innappropriate comment) turns out the belt was loose.
I went to tighten it up and found that the axle adjuster had snapped off. :( :(

Coupla new adjusters and a six pack later I got a well balanced, tight rear end (insert innapropriate comment) :lol: :lol:
"better to die on your feet than live on your knees"

Ol Fart

Post by Ol Fart » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:29 pm

Try riding when you're sober.....for a change.
750/4 Sonic chopper.
A custom bike or a chopper should be something that has had the original essence of its existence altered to project the skills, objectives and artistic vision of its creator so the viewer or “beholder” and the creator can be positively stimulated by the actual bold or sublime beauty of the bike. Both need to project an essence of suitability, practicality, function and righteousness that has no stand for mediocrity or aesthetic blasphemy.

www.independentparts.com.au

Happosai

Post by Happosai » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:00 pm

Prof wrote:Lift rear wheel off ground, and try wobbling side to side... If any movement in whole wheel, wheel bearings need replacing. If only rim moves... spokes are loose. Als check rear axle is tight.

Lift back of bike off ground and try moving swing arm from side to side... will probably need someone to hold bike while you do it.

Also check for cracks on frame.

Sounds like spokes or swing arm.

While you are at it, get your front wheel off the ground and check your steering head for any movement, your front wheel bearings and your forks for worn bushes or looseness in triple trees.

Check for steering head by trying to move front end back and forth while someone holds the bike steady. Worn fork bushes are checked the same way.

Let's know what you find out.
Once youve done this check that both wheels are in allignment, get a straight edge (piece of steel/wood) put it against the rear wheel on one side as high up as practical so that it touches two points on the tyre and messure to the similar points on the front wheel (ensure the front wheel is parrallel with the straight edge) repeat for the other side - messurements should be the same, if not the rear wheel adjustment is incorrect.

Your bike is a shaft drive right ? so it should be OK, but on a chain/belt drive the axle might not be at 90degrees to the centre line, use the axle adjusters to remedy this.

Hap
I used to be Vague...................Now I'm not so sure

RickB56

Post by RickB56 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:11 am

Thanks for all the advice guys. In reality it probably is just a matter of getting over sensitized while riding on crap roads. Need to take it out on the highway and see what it does. Maybe tomorrow.

And OL FART!!!!!! Dude!!!! Long time no hear. How's things?

Return to “Chopper Chat (includes how to post photos)”