Helemt Painting

Chat about choppers here. Any posts considered by forum administrators to be used by businesses as unpaid advertising will be promptly removed...

Moderator: Prof

Aussiehard

Helemt Painting

Post by Aussiehard » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:36 pm

I remember once being told not to put stickers etc on my helmet as the glue can weaken the helmets structure.

Is this related to composite helmets, fibreglass, & carbonfibre?

Also can we custom paint helemts and still have them safe to use?

I love these but of course they are not approved here!

[/img]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l175/ ... CO.jpg[img]
[/img]http://oldschoolhelmets.webs.com/photos ... c2.JPG[img]

[/img]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l175/ ... ji.jpg[img]

[/img]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l175/ ... ES.jpg[img]

[/img]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l175/ ... in.jpg[img]

[/img]

Neo Dutch

Helmets

Post by Neo Dutch » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:30 pm

Paint away, but don't take off the poorly applied safety sticker.
Don't let your luggage define your travels.

fluffer

Post by fluffer » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:26 am

Yeah, remove the sticker and the helmet is non compliant.
A mate was at a country market a coupla months ago and there was a bloke selling US import helmets with no sticker on em.
When my mate pointed this out the bloke pulled a roll of the stickers out and offered them at $5 a pop.
Ya gotta laff aintcha?
"better to die on your feet than live on your knees"

Aussiehard

Post by Aussiehard » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:35 am

How much was the guy selling the helmets for??? Which market, is it worth taking a ride out too? PM me if you like.

It was suggested to me some of the bike shops will sell you "replacement stickers for your approved helmet"

MArki

Post by MArki » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:43 pm

would you seriously slap an inferior helmet to your head for $5?

now i know you can get some damn ugly helmets here... but there's a reason why those stickers are on there.

In regards to painting helments ... i don't know about the legalities of it all..
i know it's expensive to do. I was quoted about $400 for a base coat of orange.....

a guy i knew has his race helmet painted (CAMS approved) and it costs him about $2.5k but thats sponsorship dolars there..

fluffer

Post by fluffer » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:12 pm

[quote="Aussiehard"]How much was the guy selling the helmets for??? Which market, is it worth taking a ride out too? PM me if you like.

It was at Healesville, never got as far as getting the price and the bloke hasn't been seen since my mate had a chat with him.
Might have something to do with the fact that my mate is 6' 3", built like a brick proverbial and looks like a pit bull (s'funny really cos he's really as gentle as a lamb)

I believe helmets work. That said, I reckon your safer without one than wearing some of the cheap garbage getting about these days.

johno

Post by johno » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:49 pm

Dont kid yourself that the Australian design sticker make it a better product it just means they have handed out thousands of dollars to the MAN to put an ADR sticker on it ,my adr,d helmet cost $45 the biltwell in the picture is a 10 time better helmet but no ADR sticker ,i once new a sales rep that was an ex moto gp rider his works nollan helmet worth thousands of dollars made just for him cant be worn hear because it doesn't have a sticker any way ill get back in my box
just because its old don't make it good

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:37 pm

Inferior helmet on my head for $5 -......................bought one at the markets yesterday, nowhere near as pretty, but $5 for a full face with visor to use as a spare aint too bad.....then again, ive got a $5 head.
Does not work or play well with others
Loud pipes save lives
"These are not the Droids you're looking for"

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:13 pm

fluffer wrote:When my mate pointed this out the bloke pulled a roll of the stickers out and offered them at $5 a pop.
Just be wary that the cops are onto that scam and will check the inside of your helmet to make sure it has the AS approved label stitched into the liner, and have also been known to look up the numbers on your fake sticker as they have a list of the faked numbers...
'65 Triumph Chopper (project)
'64 Triumph Chopper (project)

fluffer

Post by fluffer » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:58 pm

[quote="johno"]Dont kid yourself that the Australian design sticker make it a better product

Can't argue with ya there, it's a bit like the heart smart tick.
However, I have seen helmets which were "Products Of Australia" (read china) with ADR approval that simply split in half after not much more belt with a rubber mallet.

Sometime, ya just don't know who or what to believe.

Aussiehard

Post by Aussiehard » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:07 pm

I believe Snell approval is the most stringent test, however ADR is harder than DOT, which then doesn't say much for DOT approval.

I wouldn't mind pickin up a $5 helmet just to have a go at painting it, if I suck it's only $5…….If I do a good job can try again on a safe to use bucket.

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:50 pm

Dont kid yourself that the Australian design sticker make it a better product it just means they have handed out thousands of dollars to the MAN to put an ADR sticker on it ,my adr,d helmet cost $45 the biltwell in the picture is a 10 time better helmet but no ADR sticker
+1
heard same sort of story, apparently it has to do with spending thousands of dollars for testing and approval to get compliance and unfortunately Australia is too small a market (not enough sales) to justify spending that sort of money for a lot of the overseas dealers. This not only applies to helmets but to lots of other aftermarket products. Some of these other countries compliance is even more stringent than ours but because they don’t want to spend the money for our small market it will not get Australian approval even if their standard is higher than ours.
Youngblood

ol_750

Standards

Post by ol_750 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:07 am

Globalisation & International Marketing.
The World Forum for the Harmonization of Vehicle Regulations which is a working party of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) & also known as WP29 has 58 members , Australia is a member. USA is not. A designed product has to be approved by 2/3rds of the member nations before it gets accepted , it then gets a certification number. Once it is approved member countries are expected to honour its approval. In Australia its quite common to find ADR's that specifically state their requirements will be replaced by the WP29.

So European helmets built to the WP29 standard are as good as if not better than Australian helmets built where ever but the manufacturers have paid to get the Australian sticker.
Ride Hard Live Free
Twisties seperate the men from the boys
FarRider 413 "IT'S JUST A ROAD"
2 x XJ750RL , 4 x XJ900 , XS650 , XV1000 TR1,VN1500 Classic.

Scouser

Post by Scouser » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:26 am

I have read somewhere that the formula1 racing drivers use Snell and DOT approved helmets, same as the touring cars, yet they can't use them on the roads as no ADR?
OK for every other country in the world except Australia?
Oh yeah I forgot, the government hasn't been paid to test them, even though they have passed in other countries, it's not about the money is it?????

Here's the same sort of thing.
I restored a 1964 Kombi, now it did not come with seat belts so I did not have to fit any and could legally drive it with no belts.
I wanted it to be safe but didn't want to fit the modern ones with plastic buckles so I imported a set from America with the metal ones, I installed the correct mounts ect.
But I could have got defected as the seat belts did not have an ADR tab on them.
But to get the defect removed all I would have to do is remove the seat belts?
Surley some sort of seat belt is better than nothing?
But then again the government hadnt been paid to pass them.
Scouser

Aussiehard

Post by Aussiehard » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:38 am

Scouser, my bike is a 74 and don't require indicators, but if I fit them the have to be approved E marked ones……same thing….
Beaurocracy (however you spell it) gone mad!

Then again speed cameras are for saftey!

Return to “Chopper Chat (includes how to post photos)”