Anti Bikie laws

Chat about choppers here. Any posts considered by forum administrators to be used by businesses as unpaid advertising will be promptly removed...

Moderator: Prof

Ol Fart

Anti Bikie laws

Post by Ol Fart » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:16 pm

As I predicted when this rubbish was introduced the aniti bikie laws have been thrown out in NSW. an other example of a waste of hard earned tax payers money being wasted on laws that just cant be passed in this free and democratic country.

AAP
Police and politicians have been forced back to the drawing board in their fight against serious gang-related crime after a single Hells Angels member succeeded in having NSW's tough anti-bikie laws scrapped.
In a remarkable legal challenge which could have national ramifications, Derek Wainohu, a Sydney Hells Angels member, asked the High Court to declare the Crimes (Criminal Organisations Control) Act invalid.
The law was introduced in 2009 by former premier Nathan Rees, just 12 days after bikie associate Anthony Zervas was killed during a mass brawl at Sydney Airport.
Advertisement: S
The Law tory continues below Society of NSW said at the time the legislation was an over-reaction.
It effectively gave the Supreme Court the power to outlaw bikie gangs and force members to avoid contact with each other or face up to five years' jail.
But in a verdict on Thursday, the full bench in Canberra agreed with Mr Wainohu's assertion the law could have impinged individual freedoms.
The NSW government has been ordered to pay the full legal costs in the case, which Mr Wainohu's lawyer Wayne Baffsky said amounted to about $300,000.
"We're very, very happy," Mr Baffsky told AAP.
"It's not just for them (Hells Angels), it's for the people of NSW. Because the extent of the law was extraordinary.
"It was a frightening act in my opinion that targets two or more people."
The United Motorcycle Council NSW welcomed the ruling, as did the Brotherhood Christian Motorcycle Club (BCMC).
"We believe that the legislation was exceedingly dangerous for the whole of Australian society," BCMC spokesman Greg Hirst said.
Law Society of NSW president Stuart Westgarth called the former law a "reaction to a particularly nasty situation".
"We put forward a number of objections to the legislation," Mr Westgarth said.
University of NSW Faculty of Law senior research fellow Christopher Michaelson compared the Act with that of a dictatorial regime.
"I have great concerns about laws which criminalise membership in organisations as opposed to individual criminal behaviour," Dr Michaelson told AAP.
"This is much the practice of dictatorial regimes with little regard to the right to assembly and freedom of organisation."
Police Association of NSW president Scott Weber said the law had problems from the start.
"So it is not surprising that the High Court has overturned them," Mr Weber said.
Police should have the same powers as the NSW Crime Commission to investigate unexplained wealth and earnings of organised crime, saying this would be a better way of combating criminal activities by bikie gangs, Mr Weber said.
NSW Attorney-General Greg Smith said he would now look at new legislation.
"We will examine whether legislation can be prepared which will adequately address the concerns of the High Court, but will not allow this decision to slow the NSW government's crackdown on organised crime," Mr Smith said in a statement.
In their ruling, the High Court judges agreed with concerns that the anti-bikie law meant normal court procedures could be bypassed.
Their concerns centred on the fact that defendants could not appeal decisions made under the Act, the provision for hearings to be held in private and the lack of regard for the normal rules of evidence.
The judges said the Supreme Court would be asked to make rulings "without regard to the rules of evidence", based on information not disclosed to defendants and with no obligation to provide any reasons for judgments.
NSW's anti-bikie laws were partly based on legislation in South Australia, parts of which were ruled unconstitutional in 2010.
Politicians in SA were watching the NSW case closely.
SA Premier Mike Rann reiterated his vow to keep up the fight against bikie gangs.
"We do not resile from what we're doing, we're going to keep coming at them," Mr Rann told reporters.
"The bikies might think that they got a free kick from the High Court but they will not be getting a free kick from us."
750/4 Sonic chopper.
A custom bike or a chopper should be something that has had the original essence of its existence altered to project the skills, objectives and artistic vision of its creator so the viewer or “beholder” and the creator can be positively stimulated by the actual bold or sublime beauty of the bike. Both need to project an essence of suitability, practicality, function and righteousness that has no stand for mediocrity or aesthetic blasphemy.

www.independentparts.com.au

dg6oo2

Post by dg6oo2 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:38 pm

I,m glad the pen pushing pollies are spending our money wisely.
friends welcome family by appiontment only.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:38 pm

They tried to take away freedom of association, trial by jury, right to question witnesses and to appeal in the late 70's, tried it again with anti terrorist laws adn will keep trying.

My suggestion, Nobody vote for the trhee major parties... The independents can't do any worse. Get a message across that we don't want complete slavery!
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Brassy

Post by Brassy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:44 pm

Prof wrote:They tried to take away freedom of association, trial by jury, right to question witnesses and to appeal in the late 70's, tried it again with anti terrorist laws adn will keep trying.

My suggestion, Nobody vote for the trhee major parties... The independents can't do any worse. Get a message across that we don't want complete slavery!
I agree whole heartedly with the idea of getting rid of these 3 parties what a bunch of scum suckers, there should be a law that says that them being together in a group of more than three is a terrorist act as everything they do is to rob the average Australian. Thats illegal in my eyes and none of them have any expierience in their allocated positions, how about the minister for transport actually being someone that drives around for a job instead of being ferried by limo or jet. :roll:
Why does everything I eat taste like 50 weight ?

Ol Fart

Post by Ol Fart » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:14 pm

Go Brassy.
750/4 Sonic chopper.
A custom bike or a chopper should be something that has had the original essence of its existence altered to project the skills, objectives and artistic vision of its creator so the viewer or “beholder” and the creator can be positively stimulated by the actual bold or sublime beauty of the bike. Both need to project an essence of suitability, practicality, function and righteousness that has no stand for mediocrity or aesthetic blasphemy.

www.independentparts.com.au

sharky

Post by sharky » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:44 pm

In the UK years ago a group formed as the 'non of the above' party...
Imagine the poli's reaction if the country had been able to vote 'no confidence' in any of them...The 'party' was squashed under red tape....
Democracy huh....
Jesus died for his own sins.....Not mine.

fluffer

Post by fluffer » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:17 am

S'funny, but my first thought when this garbage law was first attempted was, if association with an organisation whose members may have commmited an unlawful act is itself an unlawful act and members of various police forces have commited unlawful acts, well, I think ya can se where I'm going with this.

Let's see, using that law we can pretty much jail every single member of any society, me i would start with lying, incompetent politicians.

The consorting laws were thrown out years ago in Victoria because they were simply illegal (I once got arrested for consorting) so I don't see how reintroducing the same old garbage helps any of us.
"better to die on your feet than live on your knees"

Scouser

Post by Scouser » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:24 am

I might as well bring religion into it!
If they are after guilt by association ? How about the priest's that have been convicted of kiddy fiddling?
Does that mean that everyone that goes to church should have an order placed on them?.

An unworkable law meant to distract the public from the real problems, health care, employment, jobs for mates, ect ect
Scouser

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:13 am

Very good point scouser especially re being a smoke screen... seems they spend an inordinant amount of tax payer funds on finding out what will get them popularity rather than running the country with the long term as their priority.

Their purpose is service not prolonging their employment by every foul means possible. Traitors and criminals!!!!

Got told this joke just last night...
Little boy says to dad at breakfast table... I think I will go into organised crime when I grow up.

Dad's reply, The public or private sector son?
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:26 am

.. :lol: :lol:
Does not work or play well with others
Loud pipes save lives
"These are not the Droids you're looking for"

Aussiehard

Post by Aussiehard » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:33 pm

All politicians should be jailed for fraud!……..They get elected on promises they never deliver……..

Second I propose gladiator rules……At the end of an elected term we rate the pollies on what they have done thumbs up they live thumbs down they get executed……..Lets see how that improves their ethics and ability to actually do something constructive?

Return to “Chopper Chat (includes how to post photos)”