Triumph electric's

Chat about choppers here. Any posts considered by forum administrators to be used by businesses as unpaid advertising will be promptly removed...

Moderator: Prof

bendnstretch

Triumph electric's

Post by bendnstretch » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:44 am

Surprise surprise, I am not and I am persisting to the max, as the bike is still on the road.

Anyway, here is the issue.

Running boyer elec, have new stator and rotor and running a podtronics Regulator rectifier.

I have two fuses wired into my harness, these fusese are 15amp, last week i found that when I changed into second gear I would blow a fuse, so loss of all running lights, but bike still runs, not cool at night when you are on the other side of the city.

I replaced the fuses with 35amp fuses and this worked until last night when I road on the hwy and after 10mins of this fuse blows, no lights on the Bruce, not cool. I pulled over fixed fuse working agian, so on the way home, I road the back roads and lower speed limits. I made it home with lights, yey.

1.So I feel that I may be receiving too much charge from my alternator at high engine revs. Q would I be correct on this.

2.Now the Triumph wiring diagram does not have any fuses in the harness. Q. so if I just hard wire and eliminate the fuses, this should fix my problem, right?

3.Does all this mean that my Regulator rectifier (RR) is not performing right? Q. should I get a new one, and which type, Podtronics or Sparxs?

4.The Crux, I am about to purchase a new Joe Hunt magneto and eliminate battery and all the unnecessary wiring, so I don't want to do much mucking around, so looking for a quick fix if I can. Q. Which RR would work best with new Magneto?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Ben :shock:
Trees and bikes are alike...
You can CHOP EM!!

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:10 am

I assume fuse that blows is lighting circuit and other one is ignition circuit.

Put multimeter across battery terminals and rev your motor. Max charge should be 14.5 volts, If greater, would be a regulator problem, though why just the light fuse blows I don't know.

Other issue could be vibration. Tricky things can happen like at certain revs a bared wire or connection vibrates against an earth etc

XS chop is better than me at this stuff, so give him a pm.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

KeithinSB

Post by KeithinSB » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:44 pm

Just ride over to my shed, I can fix it..... :wink:
Ride it like you can fix it.

lowie

triumph electrics

Post by lowie » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:32 pm

With it only affecting the lights I would be looking at a short some where in that circuit ,they can be buggers to find, as Prof say's it can be caused by vibration at certain revs ,good luck with it.

DOA

Post by DOA » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:33 pm

i would say you have a bare wire in the light circuit. put in second gear gas it the wire touches bare metal and shorts out. same at high speed the vibration or wind drag on the wire is making it ground out on the same bit of metal.

one of the first places to look is the gromet in the headlight bucket. if its cut through then its an eaasy earth point for your headlight wire.
ride like you stole ya bike.
love like you will only ever do it once.
live like your a different age.

Brassy

Post by Brassy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:55 pm

I would check your reg while the bike is running for a high voltage reading it may be that your reg is stuffed, I have had a similar prob with the sporty which really doesnt surprise you does it
Why does everything I eat taste like 50 weight ?

Brassy

Post by Brassy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:57 pm

And Yeah I reckon Keith could fix it he's a Trumpy electrics expert but I may be biased :D
Why does everything I eat taste like 50 weight ?

cjmeg

Post by cjmeg » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:17 pm

Would agree with what has been said - if it only blows with the light on, check for a short in the light circuit.
After that, check the reg.
The risk in removing the fuses is the fact that the next weakest link in the circuit will act as a fuse (usually the wiring somewhere)
This can cause serious damage as you would imagine.

My gut says a short - to much current from the alternator would traditionally blow the globe.
Electrons are sneaky - they can leak out in the most unlikely places..
Time to start playing with the Vmax.
Oh and maybe I should finish the trike too!

Return to “Chopper Chat (includes how to post photos)”