Product advice on classic suspension

Chat about choppers here. Any posts considered by forum administrators to be used by businesses as unpaid advertising will be promptly removed...

Moderator: Prof

psychomatt

Product advice on classic suspension

Post by psychomatt » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:03 pm

http://www.thebikerstore.eu/product_inf ... --fxr.html&

Has anyone had these or know much about the air ride stuff?

Happosai

Post by Happosai » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:15 pm

I had a set on my Heratige, combined with progressive springs in the front
Made a world of difference to the ride and handling and I didnt wear the floorboards out as quick once they were in.

Hap
I used to be Vague...................Now I'm not so sure

psychomatt

Post by psychomatt » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:33 am

so do you just fill them with air for the height and stuff?

KeithinSB

Post by KeithinSB » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:50 am

psychomatt wrote:so do you just fill them with air for the height and stuff?
The height is 13.5 inches on the ones in that link.
You fill them with air to change the load rate.
Air shocks are not like air bags, you don't really get to change height with shocks. if run to low, they will pound the bottom out of the inside of the shock. These would be cool if you had a pillion passenger and wanted to stiffen the ride to prevent bottoming out, and then soften the ride while riding one up.
IMO.....
A good set of progressive shockers would probably suite you better....
Ride it like you can fix it.

Brassy

Post by Brassy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:34 am

A good set of progressive shockers would probably suite you better....
+1 on this, Keith is right nice and adjustable.

Ol Fart

Post by Ol Fart » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:36 am

Or have a look at the local product, IKON.
Formally the hugely successfull KONI its now owned and operated by an Australian crew. Google them.
Good luck, but anything you put on the rear of the sporty that isnt a Harley product will be an improvement.
750/4 Sonic chopper.
A custom bike or a chopper should be something that has had the original essence of its existence altered to project the skills, objectives and artistic vision of its creator so the viewer or “beholder” and the creator can be positively stimulated by the actual bold or sublime beauty of the bike. Both need to project an essence of suitability, practicality, function and righteousness that has no stand for mediocrity or aesthetic blasphemy.

www.independentparts.com.au

Happosai

Post by Happosai » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:47 am

Matt

What is it you want to do ?

Have a changeable ride height ? adjust for pillion or carrying extra weight?

Here is a brief Description of how they work and some more in depth description Here.

They are a true rising rate suspension stiffening more as they compress.

As they work at high pressures up to 300 PSI a special pump is needed to adjust them, but I found that they worked far better out of the box that the Heritages stock suspension that I did not buy the pump and play with the pressure.

I have had quiet a few different bikes and tried a variety of shocks but I found these to be the simplest to set up and use, they automatically self adjust for weight, and are pretty much set and forget.

Depending on what the cost is compared to normal progressive rate shock, and what your budget is, if I had to choose I would go the fournales every time.

Hap

psychomatt

Post by psychomatt » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:19 am

First of all thankyou for posting replies,

No i simply like the look of the chrome covers. Are there any shocks out there that have this look but are not air shocks? I agree i think its abit much to mess around with for someone like me :D

psychomatt

Post by psychomatt » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:23 am

maybe something like this?

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/81 ... index.html

but if anyone knows where i can get something like this in australia i would rather buy local.

Happosai

Post by Happosai » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:43 pm

OK if it's just the look your after then how about ! shock Horror ! you just build some.

A couple of pieces of exhaust pipe the correct size to fit over the springs and some flat sheet cut to make the top that is usualy held between the spring and collet $20

Chrome $40

Building it yourself - Pricele$$

Hap

Ol Fart

Post by Ol Fart » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:17 am

Matt, head down to your local motorcycle wreckers and go though their stock of shocks, Take a tape measure and a packed lunch.
If you cant find something to fit then they probably don't exist. I once fitted a set of Honda 350 shocks to a Kawasaki chopper because I liked the look of the chrome covers myself.
Good Luck.
750/4 Sonic chopper.
A custom bike or a chopper should be something that has had the original essence of its existence altered to project the skills, objectives and artistic vision of its creator so the viewer or “beholder” and the creator can be positively stimulated by the actual bold or sublime beauty of the bike. Both need to project an essence of suitability, practicality, function and righteousness that has no stand for mediocrity or aesthetic blasphemy.

www.independentparts.com.au

psychomatt

Post by psychomatt » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:49 pm

cheers fellas

Return to “Chopper Chat (includes how to post photos)”