Hi from the bush....

Introduce yourself... area where you live, your bike or bike plans, kind of riding you like to do, a bit of your biking of history, interests, family etc
Deni Dave

Hi from the bush....

Post by Deni Dave » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:41 pm

Hello to everyone,

I 've just joined after seeing the build pics of my old 69 bonny chopper that is in the build pages here...

I have built a few bikes over the years incl jap/brit/Harley based bikes. Live in Deniliquin & organise the odd bike show, the last one being the Deni Shovel Muster.

Currently riding a stroker shovel head in a wishbone pan come softail frame, also helping my two sons build a rigid shovel each.

Bearcx

Re: Hi from the bush....

Post by Bearcx » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:50 pm

Nice one !

Welcome to the forum.
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

xsive

Post by xsive » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:10 pm

welcome :) nice to see some one riding there bikes
IM NOT CRAZY ITS JUST OTHER PEOPLES PERCEPTION OF MY NORMALITY THAT DIFFERS

KBG

Post by KBG » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:52 pm

Nice bike Dave. Saw it at the Shovel muster, great mods love the wishbone front with the soft tail.
some meaningless dribble

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:46 pm

Welcome
Nice bike, like the paintjob, in particular the flame layout on the tank, looking on doing the same sort of layout on my bike. You wouldn't have a picture from the top of your tank?

8) 8) 8)
Youngblood

Deni Dave

Post by Deni Dave » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:38 pm

some paint pics...

The paintwork was done by a good mate of mine using HOK paints and his immense skill, he is one of the few to have his own car on the international House of Color Calender as well. Also won just about every paintining award in Australia at some stage... his business is call grafix inc, located in Stawell, western Victoria.

Deni Dave

Post by Deni Dave » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:40 pm

The tanks were new 6 gal ebay cheapies from Midwest.

The paint has been done in a matte clear as well, if I feel like a change down the track he'll give it a quick rub back & blow some gloss clear over it.

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:08 am

Thanks for the extra pictures, they look great. I also like the base paint didn't really notice that before, very interesting. I used to like things painted in matt or semi gloss especially paintjobs like yours or airbrushed pictures because I always thought the reflection of the gloss made it hard to see the detail in the work, however now I think that the full gloss and I mean full sparkling like glass gloss just gives it that WOW factor. 8) 8) 8) Thanks again
Youngblood

Deni Dave

Post by Deni Dave » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:47 am

No worries,
the base is a mixture of airbrush & other methods, the base of the flames is silver with brush/wear style marks in it and the top of the flames is candy orange that you can see straight through. It's one of those paint jobs that looks 100 times better in the flesh cos ya just cant capture it with a camera.

Deni Dave

Post by Deni Dave » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:27 pm

Just finished cleaning up the bars a bit, used some really small switches on the bottom section of the WLA Dash for dipper/horn/indicators. Replaced the starter solenoid with a lever start & a remote mount ford v8 relay. Modified the shifter to run a cable operated suicide clutch and have a jockey shift on the castle top 4 speed. If anyone reads the horse magazine they would be familiar with a chap by the name "fabricator kevin" well this was the first shifter he made to suit a castle top many years ago, I bought it off a mate that had it made by kev a long time ago, it has been fitted to bikes that did many miles in the uk, nz & here so it's a well travelled stick shift... :lol: Big thanks to a mate Johnny for doing a lot of the work involved.

Deni Dave

Post by Deni Dave » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:43 pm

Also changed the intake system from an e series S&S to running a pair of vm38 mikuni carbs. Mounted on a jerry branch style two throat manifold.

I actually bought this as a kit from "cycle-x" in the states and to be honest was not very happy with what turned up in the box, after giving them full details of the engine (93" stroker) they agreed to send it with the base line jets/slides etc for that size. Instead what turned up was the stock jetting for a 74" which would not even allow the bike to idle.. Also the cables on the new custom made 1 into 2 set up supplied were too short and would not allow the slides to fully close at all. So after Johnny made some new cables we then had to file the bottom .200" off the slides to allow the airflow needed, then the pilot jets were way under size and after trying to locate some stumbled over to see fellow member here who is building "the grinder" and he happeed to have some nos jets on the shelf which was a life saver. The other option was to find some jet drills and resize the smaller ones to what we needed. So after all that the bike is running well again and when we fully sort the carbs it will have some excellent throttle response & it actually outperforms the e series already by seat of the pants tuning... So the moral is I don't promote cycle-x, home built is always a winner and if I was to do it again I'd track down a branch manifold on ebay & buy the carbs new in Australia. 20/20 hindsight it seems.

Deni Dave

Post by Deni Dave » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:48 pm

Also I must say how much I hate those pipes on there. I made them up by using some old header pipes I fitted with torque cones for some back pressure then welded up the back half as a straight through temporary job over 12 months ago and haven't got around to making a new set. I am thinking of doing some pan style forward rear pipe around the timing cone then both pipes lead back into upswept fish tails or cocktail shakers. Not sure which yet but it will happen at some stage.

Pygmy

Post by Pygmy » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:02 am

hey buddy didn't get time to call into denelliquin on the way to the mushter maybe next time, we have got a ride coming up in feb 2014 in Victoria near Echuca ? keep your eye on the site for more info. fish tails would suit it done to the ground, way to go. cheers pygmy.
Two speeds... flat out and stop

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:26 am

8) 8) 8)
Youngblood

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:56 am

I have always been keen on twin carbs for my shovel, but been told they just add complexity with no significant improvement in performance. I am keen to hear what you find out.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “G'day folks...”