HONDA TA 200 SHADOW FORK PROBLEM

'To the point' advice on what fits what, parts interchangeability and simple solutions to common problems...
This forum applies to Hondas.
Keep your post brief. You may include 2-3 clear cropped photos (max 600 pixels wide)...
CASH_ONLY

HONDA TA 200 SHADOW FORK PROBLEM

Post by CASH_ONLY » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:54 pm

Hi guys, one of the problems with my new shadow is, I hit the front breaks and the forks bottom out, can someone give me pointers on how to remove and re-build my forks, or point me to a How to place, I seem to be having a lot of trouble finding info on the bike, its a TA 200 honda shadow, 2005 model...

any help is much appreciated

CASH
2002 TA SHADOW, it may be small, but it's my first I'm I've ever worked on myself, *#@** the factory's, do it in your garage!

Cromag

Re: HONDA TA 200 SHADOW FORK PROBLEM

Post by Cromag » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:22 pm

not sure what the forks look like, but once you jack it up and take the front wheel off, you'll want to take the brake caliper off and undo the top and bottom fork clamps....slide those forks out, and look in the recess the axel sat it in. up there will probably be an allen head....stick one in it, hold tight on the fork legs anf undo that bolt.

then once its loose, undo the top fork nut, do it carefully as the spring will force the inards out and you could end up coping a spring in the eyeball.....lol...unlikley, but just be aware theres quite a bit of force in them springs.....

slip the guts of the fork out....will be a spring, turn it upside down holding the leg and drain em...then pull the chrome leg out (undone the bottom bolt havent you) so now you got the whole shebang out an are looking to remove that top seal

if you can get the number off it first thats good as old ones end up butchered b4 they pop out usually. anywho.....i use a big flat head screw driver/but iam a butcher, slowly work around the seal prying it a bit at a time...try not to damage the alloy fork bottom as its unsightly ....anyway some folks would use a slide hammer..that'll work too.

did i say smewhere in there you need to remvoe the dust seals/caps off the fork to get to the seals and they may be held in by a big circlip or wire retainer....get that sucker out before you try removing seal.

ok so you tap your new seal in with a big socket, try keep it level as it goes in...with a little smear of oil around it, also clean them legs while they're out too.

ok put em back together the opposite way, then stick about 200mls of 10weight fork oil in there....stick the caps and dust seals on and stickem back in the bike......

sit back and marvel in the glory of your bike and take her for a ride.
Does not work or play well with others
Loud pipes save lives
"These are not the Droids you're looking for"

CASH_ONLY

Re: HONDA TA 200 SHADOW FORK PROBLEM

Post by CASH_ONLY » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:30 pm

Thanks slot cromag, will give it a shot on my next day off, I'll let you know how I go!!

CASH
2002 TA SHADOW, it may be small, but it's my first I'm I've ever worked on myself, *#@** the factory's, do it in your garage!

Return to “Fits'n Bits; Honda...”