Filtering petition

Club news and general news of interest to chopper owners and riders...

Moderator: Prof

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Filtering petition

Post by Prof » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:27 pm

Phil (xs chop) sent this through to me. I think it very worthwhile petition and thought I'd give everoone here an opportunity to consider it...

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/def ... ering.html
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

dg6oo2

Post by dg6oo2 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:15 pm

Oops i didnt know it was illegal to filter. :oops:
friends welcome family by appiontment only.

RickB56

Post by RickB56 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:22 am

Don't think I understand the difference between filtering and lane splitting. Someone explain.

I tend to think zipping through between two cars at freeway speed is dangerous. Hard enough to see a bike in the normal lane. Not so if the traffic is at a stand still or creeping along. In very slow or stop and go traffic it is more dangerous for a motorcycle to be stuck in the middle. More chance of the biker getting squashed between two cars.

In my opinion, there should be motorcycle lanes. More people might ride thereby reducing traffic and pollution.

Flarris

Post by Flarris » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:02 am

As the petition states "Background (Preamble):
To date the benefits supporting the definition and legitimisation of motorcycle 'filtering' or passing between lines of stationary or low speed traffic with a small speed differential as distinct from 'lane splitting' between lanes of traffic with a high speed differential present a strong and rational case.

At this time, there is little if any empirical evidence to support the case that 'filtering' when conducted in a safe manner is significantly dangerous.

Therefore it should not be treated as illegal and should be legitimised at a national level without delay."

Happosai

Post by Happosai » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:50 am

RickB56 wrote:Don't think I understand the difference between filtering and lane splitting. Someone explain.

I tend to think zipping through between two cars at freeway speed is dangerous. Hard enough to see a bike in the normal lane. Not so if the traffic is at a stand still or creeping along. In very slow or stop and go traffic it is more dangerous for a motorcycle to be stuck in the middle. More chance of the biker getting squashed between two cars.

In my opinion, there should be motorcycle lanes. More people might ride thereby reducing traffic and pollution.
Withot realising it you DO know the difference.

"zipping through between two cars at freeway speed is " lane splitting

"traffic is at a stand still or creeping along" filtering

And the speed diferential can be small for filtering and large for lane splitting eg:

Traffic @ 5kph you traveling at 10kph = 5kph differential.

Traffic @ 60kph, you at 90kph = 30kph differential.

I know which one I consider safe.

Hap
I used to be Vague...................Now I'm not so sure

ShovelShane

Post by ShovelShane » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:43 pm

Happosai wrote:
RickB56 wrote:Don't think I understand the difference between filtering and lane splitting. Someone explain.

Withot realising it you DO know the difference.

"zipping through between two cars at freeway speed is " lane splitting

"traffic is at a stand still or creeping along" filtering

And the speed diferential can be small for filtering and large for lane splitting eg:

Traffic @ 5kph you traveling at 10kph = 5kph differential.

Traffic @ 60kph, you at 90kph = 30kph differential.

I know which one I consider safe.

Hap
depending how you read that could still be misunderstood

Traffic @ 5kph you traveling at 10kph = 5kph differential. =50% differential

Traffic @ 60kph, you at 90kph = 30kph differential. =50% differential

so is it the actual speed or is it the differential?

Traffic @ 100kph, you @ 105kph = 5kph differential or only 5% so does the speed difference or % differntial count or is it still then unsafe due to the base speed??

I'm not saying that I agree with lanesplitting but there defanately needs to be a clear indication of where filtering becomes splitting.
See no Evo, Hear no Evo, Ride no Evo

KeithinSB

Post by KeithinSB » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:27 am

Lane sharing is legal here in California (USA) but you are restricted to doing so only when safe and at speeds less then 50mph (about 85kph).
Also you are not allowed to split traffic at a speed more then 20mph above the flow speed of traffic.
I do it, but only in very slow moving traffic.
Sometimes I head out at peak traffic times on my bike just to go out and pass 10,000 car that are sitting almost stopped on the freeway.
But some of the best lane sharing I ever done was following Spokes through Downtown Brisbane after the Mega ride, 10,000 stopped cars are everywhere.... After that ride, I don't know how you could ride an air cooled bikes there and not over heat.
My vote would be Yes on filtering.
Ride it like you can fix it.

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:10 pm

[quote="Sometimes I head out at peak traffic times on my bike just to go out and pass 10,000 car that are sitting almost stopped on the freeway.
But some of the best lane sharing I ever done was following Spokes .[/quote]

Thats it, if you aint annoying someone...you aint doin it right.
Does not work or play well with others
Loud pipes save lives
"These are not the Droids you're looking for"

tigerbob

Post by tigerbob » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:46 pm

I ride 80k's a day in Sydney traffic so there's no way I'm not going to filter although it can be difficult as many lanes are too narrow. I was recently told by someone who was originally from London that if you didn't filter during your motorcycle licence test, you wouldn't pass. Can't see why it should be mandatory there & illegal here.

No surprise that I signed the petition.
'94 Dyna Convertible
'73 TR6 Tiger - chopper under construction
'71 T140v Bonneville

bendnstretch

Post by bendnstretch » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:20 am

Even the best bikes over heat in traffic and summer, wearing your protective gear sweating like a pig, makes me hot and angry, then it's not safe for anyone.

Bikes are made to go, not stop

When traffic is heavy, this is one of the best things about riding a bike in traffic, if I wanted to wait in traffic then I would drive a car and sit in the aircon.

What I hate the most is when a bike filters through the traffic gets to the lights and sits in the middle with the cars, this is dangerous, own the road and pull out in front of all the cars, then they have to wait for you to leave first (Safest), not by dragging them off the lights (Dangerous).

I think sometimes you have to ride a bit aggressively to be defensive and make your self safe by giving yourself time and space in front of all the traffic. When you do this there are no other cars on the road in front, behind, or most of all beside you, therefor I have removed all risk by riding this way.

If you ride in the traffic then this is most dangerous, so when ever the traffic has stopped or slowed down then it's up the middle for me.

If you are worried about danger from not being seen by riding this way, then ride a loader bike, rev it up as you past some cars, ride with your lights on highbeam, let them know you are there.

I tell new riders that it is dangerous, but it can be done and should be only done when they feel ready to do so and they will know the time when to, and it will be when traffic is the heaviest and it's hot.

Some of my best times riding through the city have been with mates like Spokes, Bucket and Bobba, we just ride the road like we own it.

I know this sounds wrong to most of you but that's ok with me.
Trees and bikes are alike...
You can CHOP EM!!

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:27 pm

I don't pass between lanes while traffic is moving, but pass hundreds of cars while they are waiting at the lights. I cross the line and try to set myself slightly in front of one car or the cars.

I am careful filtering between them, only idle along in 2nd gear and turn on my headlight while I do it. I am also wary of someone opening a door in front of me just for a lark... have seen it done.

I very much agree with Ben... safest place on the road is in front or behind the traffic not mising it with them. When in mid traffic, I keep abreast of the driver so he knows I am there. No excuse if he then decides to change lanes and I can power ahead and get out of his way.

I am definitiely in favour of legalizing filtering.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

matt black

Post by matt black » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:53 pm

I'm a big fan of "filtering"? saves me a huge amount of time when commuting on the bike. But that said I'm amazed at the amount of people (in their cars during geek hour that get really p*&&^ed off at you for being able to do so) and actually swerve/merge closer to other vehicles when they see you coming... A lady of about 60 actually swerved at me on the Story Bridge then tailgated me (I"m talking like 30cm rear tire to bumper for the next 500 meters)- I imagine she was super frustrated with the traffic and annoyed with me for being able to scoot along between lanes, but I wonder how she would have felt IF she actually hit me?
Anywho .....

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:33 pm

LOL.....had to ride into Redfern from my western suburbs job a few weeks back, was near Ashfield pool when this bloke decides he's had enough of people getting in front of him..so he nudges his car up when iam stationary in front of him....i turn and suggest that this is a bad idea (politley) then just before they go green the bloke nudges even further, making his intention known that he wants to knock me out of the way.....i hate that....useing your vehicle as a weapon....ive got kids.....i contribute to society, i like puppies and my mum reackons iam a nice bloke......so i move off.....to the other side of the intersection...and stop....in the middle of the road................i get off and head back to his drivers door which is now in the middle of a busy intersection, and i ask him why he wants to hurt a decent family man such as meself....he locks his door.....i continue to discuss his parentage and driving skills and need to hurt people who have places to go, until the lights turn red.....no violence....iam a nice bloke.......i didnt want to hurt him, i just wanted to get back to work.............................................
Does not work or play well with others
Loud pipes save lives
"These are not the Droids you're looking for"

bendnstretch

Post by bendnstretch » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:24 pm

Nice one, I like it, well done
Trees and bikes are alike...
You can CHOP EM!!

Return to “Latest info...”