My sunset ride 2019...

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

My sunset ride 2019...

Post by Prof » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:16 am

The last few days have been fairly tiring, and after finishing work after six tonight and then cooking tea and cleaning up, I am rather 'done in'.

Do I go to bed and watch a movie or catch some wind on two wheels. As tired as I am, the latter really appeals, so after getting permission from she who is really always very kind about these things, I ring a CA mate nearby and arrange to take off to his place within 10 minutes. Well, get a couple of last minute jobs given to me and then on with my riding clothes, grab my vest and jacket and out to the workshop.

I'm just loving my chopper with its new springer, both for its beauty and classic lines and for its riding sweetness. Fires instantly as usual when it is not too cold. Helmet and gloves donned. A new helmet arrived today; a very light half helmet job I've named named 'Brutus. His mates are Basil (summer) and Boris (winter). Well looks like Basil will be in reserve from now on! Back the nicely idling shovel out of the workshop, snick her into first and with a hard lean to the right to miss the workshop wheelie bin we shoot out into our next adventure.

Sun is setting as I head west and after a mile north and then west again. The sunset is gorgeous. Maybe some nice video and pics here. Drop back to 45mph on this rough piece of road, gloves off and tucked under me and out with the camera. Take half a dozen photos at spots where the gums are silhouetted against the red and gold sky and then set the video recording...

Finally turn north again and back to the speed limit due to traffic before and behind. I watch intrigued as the almost full moon visible in the twilight haze follows me dodging behind trees and then showing again. Get another clip from which I will also try to find a good photo...

This is riding... relaxation setting in, cobwebs blown out of the brain, so nice. Motor is pulsating beautifully beneath me. Lovely throaty exhaust note steady and strong. Slight vibration through my King/Queen seat and the shiny chromed pullbacks. Air crisp, cool but not cold. New helmet hardly noticeable; it is light and doesn't catch the wind. Can't get a lot better than this on this earth.

Cruise on to mate's place 20 minutes away, stopping at a servo to grab an iced coffee and cream filled bickies for him and a choc milk for me. He's always feeding me when I turn up, so I'll return the favour tonight. Cruise a few dark streets enjoying the effortless acceleration of my 1974 shovel motor... exhaust note a beautiful song...

Enjoy an hour or so of conversation and then time to get back on my machine. Ride home via the coast is always nice and certainly so tonight at 11.30pm. Have the streets and roads pretty much to myself. Just me and my machine rumbling through a still moonlit night.

Home once again. Shovel is tucked away safe in the workshop awaiting her next outing with a master who loves every bit of her...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

El Skitzo

Re: My sunset ride 2019...

Post by El Skitzo » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:35 am

What a way to end the day! 8)
'65 Triumph Chopper (project)
'64 Triumph Chopper (project)

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Re: My sunset ride 2019...

Post by Prof » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:54 pm

Was un-improvable!!!

But my day almost really ended tonight. I did the weeks shopping in McLaren Vale four miles away. On my way home (lights on and still dusk) a four wheel drive swerved way across the white line when only yards away. I instinctively heaved the chopper to the left and he missed by inches! Gave me a bit of a shock as he appeared to be looking straight at me. I saw in my mirror that he took his time to get back in his lane, so maybe sleeping with his eyes open or on the magic stuff.

So be careful out there guys... especially with Christmas partying in full swing.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”