Invigorating ride...

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Invigorating ride...

Post by Prof » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:52 pm

Had a surprise visitor to the workshop. recognised it as a shovel as it came up the drive and then Victor's distinctive clutch basket rattle as he dropped the suicide shifter into neutral...

He spent an hour or so checking out all the goodies and making up a new air filter foam insert while I helped a mate set up a few more security cameras in the workshop.

Time to go after a chinwag over a looong chocolate drink. I couldn't resist going with him for awhile, despite Dr's orders to keep off the bike for two weeks. First kick start as usual...

His small tank does about 160k, so a quick fill up at the new local caltex... best prices around...

... and off up Willunga Hill. Victor was hooking it through the bends. Gee. That exhaust really bellows. Trying to keep close using one hand to hold the camera and at the same time negotiating the tight corners doing clutchless changes was a bit of a challenge and I missed a few good shots, especially when one car cut my corner!...

Out on the straight and we cruised side by side at a leisurely pace... except for one spot where I just had to open up the big rumbling shovel motor. Blasted off into the distance and then had to drop right back to let him catch up... was fun though, my shovel though only a 1200 really boogies...

Waved him goodbye at the Meadows turnoff and cruised back home via Kangarilla and McLaren Flat. Passed a nice hotrod, but hit a bump as I clicked the shutter and the shot was blurred. Nice sunset as I got close to McLaren Flat and had to stop for a scenic shot.

Beautiful ride, just does wonders riding a chopper that fits like a glove and runs like a dream (Not a Honda Dream silly), so came home refreshed and invigorated. Some of us are just lucky I guess.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Victor
Interests: Building choppers and riding off into the sunset

Re: Invigorating ride...

Post by Victor » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:07 am

Great recap and some cool photos. Nice to catch up.

I may be tall and not quite an athlete, but that rear shot demonstrates how narrow Harleys of the era can be.

Really enjoyed a casual ride, who cares if cars were flying past us at speed. Tend not to ride much during summer so this was the first decent ride I’ve been on in a while. I always seem to do more riding in winter and have a bike in pieces for summer!!

I stopped on the roadside about 5 minutes from Hahndorf and just had to take a photo or three before the sun disappeared.

Matched set of Lucas Square 8’s lighting my way. A ‘Set’ of lights uses two different lenses that project different beams.

Would have been nice if a 70s car had driven past for the shot, but you’ll just have to use your imagination...

Victor
Interests: Building choppers and riding off into the sunset

Post by Victor » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:12 am

And forgot to mention, the whole day started off with a Completely dead battery, thanks to my absent mindedness leaving the ignition on last time I was doing something to it.

Easily fixed with a bit of juice and some wire, the joys of a well tuned, easy starting kick only bike! Didn’t even need to remove my seat!

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:10 am

Yep. Leaving the ignition on can be a pain especially on the coils. When Brian and I rode up to a Mad Max reunion at Silverton some years back. I left mine on while helping Brian sort out a bent foot peg when he dropped his chopper. Coils were just about boiling. Wouldn't start and I had to bump start it down a long hill. Took 10k's of backfiring before coils finally cooled enough to run ok again.

Here's the story... http://www.choppersaustralia.com/forum ... on#p50583
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Tri4

Post by Tri4 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:15 pm

Surprise rides out of the blue are usually pretty good as the ride just happens, as usual you have a good way with words and photo's, always enjoyable to read!

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:05 am

Great pics guys!
'65 Triumph Chopper (project)
'64 Triumph Chopper (project)

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”