Willunga Swap and Machine Gun Preacher Ride...

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Willunga Swap and Machine Gun Preacher Ride...

Post by Prof » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:14 pm

Server is playing up so rest of pics hopefully tomorrow night. Sorry.

Last weekend as usual, CA had a stall at the Willunga Swap Meet. Rob arranged to come on Saturday, so a bit on his chopper, stay the night and then go with me to the swap meet. I had been wanting to catch up with Colin in Murray Bridge with a set of panniers that need repairs and then Saturday morning found out that the Long Riders in Murray Bridge were hosting Sam Childers a biker who rescues and houses and trains orphans in Uganda. Known as the Machine Gun Preacher, because he carries a weapon and has used it on a number of occasions to protect these children.

Rob ended up coming late, because getting a tyre fitted took hours. But he was keen to come for the ride to Murray Bridge, so lat 6pm, off we thundered. I led the way and for some reason, just felt like going fast, so we hooked along sweeping through the bends, blasting up the straights and passing a goodly number of cars. One 60's Volksy combi moved across to the left of his lane as I came up behind, so I gave him a wave of thanks as I roared past. Rob later told me my friendly wave looked like the bird sign and he thought by the look on his face the driver thought so too. Ooops! Once we hit the freeway, we rode side by side, which is really cool. Here's Rob...

We rolled into Col's in record time and got down to business. Fixing the bags, no problems mate. ..

Discussion on his bobber ended up in us going into his shed. And Rob ended up buying a seventies springer he no longer needed...

Long Rider's clubhouse was packed with lots more outside in the drizzle. Here a rock 'n roll group belting out few numbers to start the night off...

I have heard Sam before and he talked a lot about his organisation's work and the fact that they are largely self financed through setting up businesses employing and training their orphans. He was a bit more preachy this time which Rob found a bit of a challenge! Sorry Rob...

Both of us missed out on tea, so cruised the empty streets to find a pizza shop. We ate out large pizza slowly and were finally kicked out of the shop so they could close up. The guy kindly kept his outside light on while we were rugging up. Knowing it would be a very chilly ride I gave Rob some surgical gloves to put under his gloves and I also wrapped a folded garbag I carry around my chest. The ride home was steady, but slowed a bit by light rain at times and by keeping wary eyes out for roos and slowing especially through Kuipto Forest. Night was COLD, but then my pommy mates tell me they used to ride on back ice back in old blighty, so I'm not going to complain...

Five hours later and we were up to go to the swap meet. A few of the CA members said they would come, but I hedged my bets and got Rob to ride the diamond tanked CB so we would have at least to choppers on display, which as usual, we set up just inside the gate...

Here Rob and Danny and Kevin taking the details of a bloke keen to join us on rides...

Fellas came back to The Chopper Shed and checked out the machines under construction and enjoyed a hot drink. This was especially appreciated as the day was freezing... in fact I think I might have seen a couple of frozen penguins flying over from the south pole!

A great weekend. Excellent ride to Murray Bridge which I will remember fondly for some time to come...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”