First cruise

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
El Skitzo

First cruise

Post by El Skitzo » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:03 pm

After 2 months of slogging away with cleaning, maintenance issues, tuning and fixing things that were broke, I finally got to take this new (to me) Chopper for a leisurely cruise along the coast today.

The bike rode pretty good. Much much faster than my Triumph was, sounds heaps better too, but I do miss having mid controls, decent brakes and good lean angle. I must have started it at least 10 times today, and it started first kick every time.

Only issues I had were I couldn't find a replacement battery this morning small enough, but after we tested everything is seems like the battery in the bike is behaving as it should so I'll stick with it for now. My crank case breather issue does not appear to be resolved, as the new K&N filter is already after one short ride soaked and splattering the oil tank, rear fender and mufflers. I did get the odd cough and splutter on the way home, but I checked the plugs and there's no evidence of fouling so I'll keep an eye on things for now.

The belt drive also took a nip at the left leg of my pants three times, ripping my foot clean off the peg which was quite scary, but my fault for wearing old baggy work pants which are two sizes too big and look like flares. I'll wear something more sensible tomorrow when I head down to Fremantle and back.

All in all nice to finally be back on a bike again. Hopefully after a few more rides I'll start to connect with this bike and start to get enthused about it.

'65 Triumph Chopper (project)
'64 Triumph Chopper (project)

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:13 pm

Only thing I can think of is to reseat your non return valve with a tap on the ball with a hammer and drift and a slight stretch of the spring. This seems to have been the only thing I changed on the shovel and it has not sent any oil out of the breather (it emptied the oil tank on a recent ride).

I had some glorius late night rides recetnly just puttering along at 70-80pkh on back roads through the Adelaide hills listening to the glorious ragged thump of that 82ci motor turning over lazily beneath me.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:29 pm

Andrew CA Admin wrote:Only thing I can think of is to reseat your non return valve with a tap on the ball with a hammer and drift and a slight stretch of the spring.
I did try reseating the ball, but did not stretch the spring. I might look at doing it again. Is that area supposed to be full of oil when you take the retaining cap off?

Prof

Post by Prof » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:40 pm

I'll take mine off tomorrow and let you know. If I don't post here about it within 24 hours, pm me as I am prone to memory lapses at present!
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

ShovelShane

Post by ShovelShane » Sun May 01, 2011 4:26 am

A good hint for the belt drive problem, 100mph tape helps hold ya pants nice and tight around the ankle. My very first ride on my shovel I had some brand spankin new jeans on and as soon as I got to the first intersection where i had to put my feet down i lost the left leg off me jeans, got a nice friction burn on the back of my leg and got a lesson in how to re fit a belt on the side of the road with no tools.
See no Evo, Hear no Evo, Ride no Evo

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Sun May 01, 2011 8:55 am

More Power To Ya ElSkitzo...bike looks great.
Does not work or play well with others
Loud pipes save lives
"These are not the Droids you're looking for"

Scouser

Post by Scouser » Sun May 01, 2011 9:12 am

Looks great.
Must admit I would be a bit of a woose and cover the belt?
In my old age I would foget and loose a foot?
Scouser

Bacca

Post by Bacca » Sun May 01, 2011 11:12 am

Great lookin scoot Image

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Sun May 01, 2011 1:38 pm

Went out again this morning, this time with my mate Trev on his old Triumph, ending up in Northbridge after blasting through the Northbridge tunnel and making a lot of noise in there :lol:

I wore jeans that actually fit me properly today, and the flapping left leg of the jeans didn't go any where near the front pulley on the belt drive this time, so problem solved.

I did end up with some seriously loud ticking from the front cylinder a couple of times but after pulling over and letting the bike idle it quietened down and went away?

Prof

Post by Prof » Sun May 01, 2011 11:31 pm

Ticking in front cylinder most likely a hydraulic lifter with a bit of sludge in it. Would be worth removing lifters and cleaning them. Also every oil change make sure you clean the small filter that is under the big slotted screw on top of the gear case just behind the rear lifter blocks.

Might also pay to readjust the pushrod clearances. See your manual. It is quite quick and easy. to Hold up the pushrod covers up while I do the clearances, I have a couple of pieces of fencing wire that hook over the top of the rocker cover and hook onto the bottom of the covers.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Mon May 02, 2011 9:47 am

Fantastic advice mate, thanks will look into it!

Brassy

Post by Brassy » Mon May 02, 2011 7:01 pm

I am with the dodgy lifter scenario its pressurising under load and then comes good with no load sounds like the lifter is faulty and if its stock its hydraulic S&S make good lifters.

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Mon May 02, 2011 11:43 pm

Andrew CA Admin wrote:Also every oil change make sure you clean the small filter that is under the big slotted screw on top of the gear case just behind the rear lifter blocks.
I just pulled that out and wow, it was jam packed to the brim with gunk. I had to blow it all out with the air compressor before I could even think about cleaning with solvent. I'm sure that alone will make a difference...

Zoid

Post by Zoid » Thu May 05, 2011 5:07 pm

On the subject of open primaries, I've always wondered. I know the 'cool factor' is high, but . . I'm surprised there aren't more serious accidents. And another thing - have you seen those guys in the US (where it seems there are no rules) on Youtube riding their bobbers on a tiny, unpadded seat, with their backsides mere inches from the back tyre with no rear guard to intervene? What happens if they slip off backwards? Scary thought. Am I just too old, or what? :(
Nothing really matters . .

Zoid

Post by Zoid » Thu May 05, 2011 5:08 pm

PS . . . nice looking sled, El S.
Nothing really matters . .

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”