2018 Macclesfield Bike Show

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

2018 Macclesfield Bike Show

Post by Prof » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:08 pm

Choppers Australia did its fourth all bike show for this year;Balhannah, Coast to Coast, Lockleys and this last weekend, Macclesfield. Macclesfield show, put on by Lions, was the best in my opinion in that all visitors parked their bikes on the oval with the displays and stalls, making a real spectacle... I would guess we had 500 or more bikes here at any one time, a lesson that could be learned by the other organisations.

I had hoped for four of us to roll into the show early morning, but in the end only Tony was able to accompany me. Tony rolled up a bit after 7.30am and we took off... well almost. I'd adjusted my chain the afternoon before and I guess with a number of distractions, didn't get it right. Rilda asked me to not start our choppers until we got to the bottom gate. Being downhill I pushed the shovel off and heard the distinctive click click of the overtight chain... a good way to destroy countershaft and rear wheel bearings! A bit of advice here. I often slow right down, drop into neutral, switch the bike off on a downhill run and listen for any unusual noises that would otherwise be drowned out by wind and exhaust. Whilst in SA it is illegal to roll along in neutral, I do this check every month or so just in case.

So at the bottom of the drive it was a case of grabbing out my tool roll and loosening off the chain. We finally set off with roar of V twin and straight four a glorious sound to make the heart sing.

Weather was perfect and we rolled along at a respectable pace, keeping an eye out for roos through the wooded areas. We made Macclesfield in good time and although only 45 minutes before official opening time, I was surprised at how few were there...

Victor rolled inon his newly built shovel soon after, followed a little later by Rayne on his new look S&S pan with Meatballs springer (see video clip on facebook). Jon wasn't too far behind on his evo sporty...

Kevin came in on his little traditional Trumpy chopper with a couple of the other CA guys on their Harleys. Here a rear shot of Rayne's and Jon's choppers...

Peter rode his rigid CB750 from Birdwood (a great ride he says) to complete our chopper complement of 7 choppers; a really pleasing display...

By 10am the place was filling up as the following shots show...

Tall bloke on the far right (orange coat) was the organiser on the ground and did a really good job...

BMW club outnumbered everyone else 3-1! Almost swamped us! One of their members, a slight young lady came over admiring the shovel, saying however it would be too heavy for her. As you can gues, I suggested she try it for size and she was quite amazed because of the low seat and low centre of gravity... and lack of excessive junk...

Harleys outnumbered the other bikes by a big margin, quite different to 20 years ago and vastly different to the 70's when they were few and far between...

Tony took this photo. Climbed into the scorer's box... clever chap ain't he...

Some nice old bikes also on display, here a Scott Squirrel two stroke a real power house in its day...

this next bike, a Norton, an Atlas I believe. When I was sixteen, I rode the WLA with a sidecar much to my mate's enjoyment all wanting to get a ride in the Dustings sidecar! But it was too slow and after sticking it on my R60 BMW (suspension to soft and kick starting on the left really difficult), I found an Atlas for sale at Pitman's on Main North Road.

Knowing I was young and inexperienced, Dad insisted on coming to look at it with me. Because he worked til 5.30 in his pharmacy weekdays and on Saturday mornings he arranged with Pitmans to stay open so we could look at it. We left the shop half an hour early one night (illegal) and hotfooted it into the city. He had arranged for the Atlas to be out the front fuelled up and ready to take for a test ride with the promise that if it was as advertised we would have the cash with us, buy the bike and ride it home.

When we arrived Pitmans was open, but the Atlas was in the far back corner with no fuel. The person in charge was totally offhand and couldn't have cared less and was not interested in getting the bike out for us! Well, I hear some prettly blue language at times, but Dad used a few words I doubt that I have heard since and was close to flattening the guy... he was ropable and promised to never darken their doorstep again... which he didn't and I must say I didn't either.

So I never got to own a Norton Atlas, which is a pity because I believe they were an excellent machine... it probably would have ended up being my first chopper, as within the year that's where my interests lay...

Nicely done Indian...

HRD Vincent. A bit earlier than the one Dad had, this has girder forks rather than the later girdraulics. Looks quite tiny alongside the viewers, but did over 100mph out of the showroom. Came stock with 19" wheels front and rear...

Cool little trike with a real working springer front end...

A common first bike when I was first riding, lots of 350 adn 500 Matchlesses available then. Note the sign Look but don't touch. Guess that's why folks are surprised when I encourage then to try my shovel for size... one of the benefits of keeping my paint job cheap...

Quite a number of onlookers were thrilled to got on the shovel and all loved it and asked lots of questions about long forks and handling. Most got themselves photographed...

This couple rocked in on a black Harley but thought this was cooler. As it turned out he has a partly built rigid HD at home and has been rebuilding the gearbox and other bits...

Our CA guys gradually left as the morning turned into afternoon with other commitments. The day turned out to be fairly hot in the sun and we were constantly in conversations with onlookers, more than any other show or swap meet I have attended, so it was good to finally see the crowd thinning around 1pm.

One job left to do. One of the organisers came over to tell me I'd won best chopper! Quite a surprise against Choppers like Rayne's and Victor's. I was told the judge thought it was a 'genuine' chopper of the era, well used and constantly ridden (I didn't know who he was when he was asking me questions earlier in the day).

Which reminds me, early in the day, a couple of riders were looking at the shovel and one was saying how if you wanted a chopper a shovel or pan was the way to go, but, if you wanted reliability keep away from a shovel and get an evo. As you can imagine I gently set them straight on that one... 150 thousand MILES with only one ever break down on the road. Needless to say the speaker was impressed and changed his tune. the shovels were never built for speed (though with correct gearing they'll do over 120mph) but comfortable cruising at highway posted speeds. Take care with maintenance and keep the oil clean and they will be as oil tight and reliable as anything around.

So I went up the the dais at 1.30 and got my two bottles of wine... much to the amusement of the couple of remaining CA blokes knowing that I rarely drink alcohol. Might share it out at the Muster...

Tony and I were the last to leave our site. He packed most of it up for me. Thanks mate you are a great help and good friend. Fired up the shovel and the CB750 and cruised out of the best show I have attended. We travelled at a more sedate pace and I got some photos and video of the Tony on the CB...

Pulled into Meadows shortly after and filled up the Diamond tank which holds only enough for about 60 miles. The CB's do about 40 mpg while my shovel does 45mpg...

More cool cruising through Kuipto...

Hard to get this kind of shot, but this one worked...

By now Tony was really getting used to the CB and says he had a fantastic time especially through the curves along Pottery Rd and then down Penny's Hill Road. Got home and rolled the choppers into the workshop. When his missus arrived we all checked out the photos and video of the day. A fitting finale to a great day.

PS It was also a swap meet and I did manage to pick up some nice parts for the workshop.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

El Skitzo

Re: 2018 Macclesfield Bike Show

Post by El Skitzo » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:28 pm

So many amazing bikes and Choppers! 8)
65 Triumph Chopper (project)

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”