Time for a short trip

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.

Moderators: pommychopper, Squirt

Time for a short trip

Postby Tri4 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:18 am

DSCN0647.jpg
DSCN0647.jpg (137.94 KiB) Viewed 709 times
At home in the Hills contemplating what to do next, 'my partner of forever' informs me we have to visit our grandson in Sydney for his birthday, but also wants to take our youngest grandie from Perth as well, a quick check tells me the 'deficit' is heading for red, two air tickets are possible which means I will miss out,, unless I do the unheard of thing and ride my Triumph and roughing it with noodles, and a variety of tins, I guess I can suffer this for the family!
With the other two leaving on the 10/Feb,I leave a week or so earlier a quick check of my trusty machine the tyres are 'daughtful' but with 3000klm's of straight roads I decide to chance it , about 4hrs out of Perth cloudy with gusty winds pull over and don my wet weather gear, mostly showers on and off till Adelaide, but warm and dry in my newly aquired attire most enjoyable first night out I stand my newly built lean-to and it works great, although there are some modifications to be done, 2nd night on the Nullabour I found it hard to find a 'tree' to tie the other side of the shelter to but found a way, it rained that night and not a drop inside so I was happy with that! The Triumph was dyno'ed a week before I left so sounded great and run magnificently, the trip was uneventful to Adelaide with fuel being the only serious reason to stop, with a lot of help from Prof over the last couple of visits this machine is so comfortable and fits like a glove, it doe's what I love, cruise the highway for hours and days at a time.
A vist to Andrews to rest up for a couple of days, tweek a couple more things led to a few extra fine tuning I have always wanted to ride around the area while I'm there however the bike throws a few curve balls at me so time seems to get away, so I have that on my 'to-do' list. Planing is underway, (after this trip)
Tri4

Re: Time for a short trip

Postby Tri4 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:32 pm

My visit with Andrew and the tweeking the bike needs results in some time consuming mods, not the least was a fair bit of fine-tuning the springer, along with a fancy sat-nav bracket(?) combined with a iPhone holder which has an app for a speedometer (as I don't have one) also a compartment to hold my camera, but all is finished, a change of plans, I head to Geelong and hook up with Stewart, another Chopper's Australia member and chopper builder and all round good guy, he solved a problem with my irritating clutch cable, onward to Melbourne, I worked here in the early 70,s so a visit was nostalgic as much as anything. I have had lot of rain but I have been lucky and have always missed the big heavy storms I would love to be able to explain the ride, but the highway, me on a well crafted chopper what more can I say?? On to Sydney to the reason for my trip, my wife arrived and we shared a rare birthday with a precious grandson. A quick search of eBay finds me a 'Harley' tyre 200-50x179 "mine normally being 55 series" on special for $150, sure beats the $400 I normally pay, the biggest problem was the store was in Melbourne, so I had to add shipping to that, I called them up and added a front with that, then I had two shipping costs, also had to pay fitting in Sydney, but still good. On to the far North Coast where I grew into my wild ways and terrorising the communities, so a lot of memories here both good and bad but still part of my trip through life, still a lot of family living in this area, so the next week or so will be busy while I contemplate 'where to next?' my life at the moment has no timetable, no rules, it is anywhere, anytime and about as perfect as it gets, there are a few downsides but I won't bore you with them. I was forced to ride to Brisbane yesterday official 'government' business, but again the roads have changed now takes two hours to ride what used to be a four+hour ride, this allowed me to take a detour to a great secluded spot we used to camp at,, but it is gone, now under the concrete jungle. I will be riding the mountain roads while I'm here then???,,,.
Attachments
DSCN0672.jpg
DSCN0672.jpg (100.9 KiB) Viewed 680 times
Tri4

Postby Tri4 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:34 pm

I do get sidetracked sometimes , but I do the best I can to get some photo's for all the members out there, not a lot of riding at the moment due to the rain and floods, oh and cold,flu,virus thingie knocked me for a row, hope you like these, The silo's are in the Mallee country (my first run through there) the other is at the Dartmouth dam where I worked on or in the tunnels there in the early 70's no wall then just a river that needed a wall. So we obliged.
Gerry
DSCN0728.jpg
DSCN0728.jpg (87.85 KiB) Viewed 662 times

DSCN0699.jpg
DSCN0699.jpg (89.44 KiB) Viewed 662 times
Tri4

Postby Tri4 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:20 pm

DSCN0825.jpg
DSCN0825.jpg (65.47 KiB) Viewed 648 times

IMG_0624.jpg
IMG_0624.jpg (93.73 KiB) Viewed 648 times

At some of the best beaches, ever, spent a very happy week here and in the surrounding hinterland, with my daughter whom I never seem to get to spend enough time with,.
My best tyre buy, I would like to think they will always be this price but I know better, oh well I will enjoy these!
At my brothers visiting all the rellies at the moment along with tons of rain, the next leg is being planned, but no definite destination yet I should know where by Sat 12 noon. My ride through the mountains hasn't happened yet but stay tuned it will.
Take care guys
Gerry
Tri4

Postby Prof » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:15 am

Good load on the sissy bar. Are you able to ride on any of the beaches up there?
Chopit'nrideit... Prof
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Postby Tri4 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:09 pm

This sissy bar has been the single most useful mod I have made to this great chopper, I can load it right up and it just works, with nothing tied on, it looks like a chopper should, good, I believe we are allowed to ride on some of the beach's, I haven't found anyone to ride them with here yet, so no report on that, weather and floods permitting my brother and I will catch a few mountain roads over the next couple of days also hook up with another brother for awhile before the 'short trip' continues I think my next leg will be somewhere near Bunderberg (now that sounds tempting), a niece there who I need to catch up with, then to the oil town of Roma, where I met my beloved all those years ago, I have been reminded there are inlaws there (shock horror) who I haven't see for 35 years,(more shock, horror) and it is a 'must do', I will have to obey as it is the only order I have had in the last few years and with my lifestyle it is just another ride to enjoy.
Oil and filter change today so good for another 6,000K's. The new tyres are the bee's knee's, not that they have any serious work to do, but for cheepies totally satisfied.
I hope your riding days are as good as mine
Gerry
Tri4

Postby Tri4 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:00 pm

DSCN0849.jpg
DSCN0849.jpg (137.46 KiB) Viewed 594 times

We got to visit an auction that had a rare bike a single cylinder Aerial as well as a very rare "Hesketh"1000,V-twin, first one I have ever seen, Neither one was for sale and the owners could not be found.There was memorabilia everywhere
A couple of Brabhams for sale fetched about $250,000 and $300,000, I stopped bidding at the $100 mark, but quiet an interesting day, the caterers didn't turn up as the thought the rain would keep the crowd away, it didn't then there were hungry people all under cover with no food. Along with the advertised start time of 12 noon at Alstonvale instead of Alstonville, the 12 noon start time was Qld time and the Auction was in NSW started the confusion in a big way.
Visited some of the outlaws and gathered some of the family history, from what we (I) thought was log lost documents, a birth certificate from Ireland has surfaced.
A good eight hours riding the New England ranges and on to the Warrigo highway, got lucky my Triumph was recognised and an fellow biker offered a bed and some touring of the area a most excellent situation, on a much less happy note my new 'waterproof' pants are not, I do get wet in heavy rain, and I thought I was on a winner too ah well back to the drawing board.
Take care guys
Gerry
Attachments
DSCN0855.jpg
DSCN0855.jpg (132.37 KiB) Viewed 594 times
Tri4

Postby Tri4 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:33 pm

A run through the oil and gas town of Roma reveals a lot of changes, but oil wells in town, on the eastern side, (I think this one is for the tourists) I did actually work on an oil refinery on the western outskirts of this town with an American 'wildcat' I think they are called, long since left for parts unknown, oh well I guess after 30 years that is to be expected, it will be interesting to see what has happened on my next visit, in 30 years time.

DSCN0878.jpg
DSCN0878.jpg (85.7 KiB) Viewed 519 times

At this town somewhere in Qld I thought I had entered the world of "Footrot Flats", not a lot happening the road is all I need enjoy the ride fill-up when needed, maybe it's me but someone always seems to hide the good stuff to photo before I get to see them.. I did lose my ear plugs at the last fuel-up, and was lucky enough to find a couple of council workers who checked out the truck, no luck, they were kind enough to drive back to the depot and obtain a couple of sets for me, thanks guys, I did explain about our website and were going to look us up.
Attachments
DSCN0881.jpg
DSCN0881.jpg (89.54 KiB) Viewed 519 times
Tri4

Postby Youngblood » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:58 pm

8) 8) 8)
Youngblood
Youngblood

Postby Prof » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:46 am

The Hesketh had real possibilities just not enough back up finance to get it through. Real pity as I reckon it could have helped the British bike industry through its downturn.

Keep sending the info Jerry.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof
Prof

Postby Tri4 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:48 pm

I believe in 1982 Cagiva was trying to absorb the Hesketh, this failed.(can you imagine an english spegetti bike) Then Triumph tried to take the brand on as they needed another model because the Bonneville was outdated, lack of capital put paid to this deal, we could only imagine what the result would have been.
DSCN0882.jpg
DSCN0882.jpg (35.16 KiB) Viewed 480 times

The highway throws up many and varied landscapes none of which I know how to explain or even photograph, but did I mention the ride? It is all about the ride another day in the saddle.
DSCN0892.jpg
DSCN0892.jpg (67.12 KiB) Viewed 480 times

I don't do much sightseeing when I ride the highways, but I did manage to visit the Longreach Hall-of-Fame, and I have promised myself this will be a good town to spend a week or so, also where Qantas originated, a few miles out on the (I think) Thompson River has a rich history and there are still two paddle steamers operating!!

A stinking hot day, one of the few days I bought beer, the bar girl looked at me funny when I asked her to 'double bag' them and put heaps of ice in, had to tape it to the 'sissy bar' with a roll of electrical tape, I was a little worried about the ice melting before I'd found a camp, heading ever westward, (well more Northward) with no idea where to sleep, I did find an acceptable place to stay, cooked some noodles washed down with my still cold beer, even got the last one finished before the ice melted
See you soon
Gerry
Attachments
DSCN0887.jpg
DSCN0887.jpg (73.6 KiB) Viewed 480 times
Tri4

Postby Tri4 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:34 pm

DSCN0901.jpg
DSCN0901.jpg (72.71 KiB) Viewed 444 times

The last time I seen this sign I remembered a lot of bad memories from my past, 1970 I had been talked into leaving my 56 Triumph and being co-pilot in a Ford Customline from Tenterfield NSW to Barra Creek NT to a mining job, a decision that would ultimatly cost me my Triumph, and my freedom for a while.
All gravel roads in them days we hit big mobs of rain we were bogged most of the way for 120 miles or so, with pushing and trying to drive, very miserable.
I thought Mt Isa was going to be a good place to be, met some of the bike guys and partied well, then the local uniforms decided to run the bike guys out of town (and us with them), talked our way out of that for a while, then the local tough guys took a dislike to us we had to leave then, continued on to the NT
About 4 months later heading back to NSW the Mt Isa locals give us a hiding, we were sent packing again.
Got to home (my dads) I had won the huge booby prize,,,, national service call-up. My treasured Triumph was stolen never to be seen again.
All blacktop now but I didn't feel like staying in the Isa or taking photo's
More soon
Gerry
Tri4

Postby Prof » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:54 pm

Love to be on the road with you Gerry. But I will do a round trip before I finish long riding. Beers in ice on the sissy bar... another good use for that magic piece of metal that the true chopper jock's faithful companion!
Chopit'nrideit... Prof
Prof

Postby Tri4 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:23 am

Out of Queensland into the Territory with a reasonable speed limit,,,,arhh relax and let the chopper pick its own pace, not a worry!!
DSCN0903.jpg
DSCN0903.jpg (76.61 KiB) Viewed 398 times

Some people cannot see how to rebuild, restore and/or chop these out of date motorcycles, but I guess it is still good to be able to see them in some form, I believe this is the first Rudge I have ever seen, although at first sight I did think it was a Triumph because of the side panel on the fuel tank. This one of the ornaments hanging at the Barkley Homestead bar, and roadhouse.
DSCN0904.jpg
DSCN0904.jpg (82.81 KiB) Viewed 398 times

I am not happy with my camera, lousy quality photo's, hard to adjust but a point and shoot Nikon small easy to carry, I know some (a lot) is properly me but, I will carry my 35mm Canon on my next trip despite the bulk
DSCN0906.jpg
DSCN0906.jpg (60.91 KiB) Viewed 398 times

Happy days
Gerry
Tri4

Postby Tri4 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:29 pm

Hey Andrew you are most welcome to ride with me, but you will have to realise I am a little erratic and unreliable with the way I travel and do things, but I do love the road and nothing I like better than just kick back enjoy the highway, I have spent the last week trying to convince myself not to ride back to Kyogle NSW, this would have meant a 3000k trip back then 3000k to get to where I am now, and still having nearly 4000k to get home, a family crises there, today I got word of another family issue, so it is maybe better I stayed here while I thought it all through, my family at home is very important to me and they need me home as soon as I can, so I will pack up tomorrow proberly hit the rode Saturday.
I am planning a trip to Darwin in about 12 months at or around this time, I need to get my Honda finished and reliable as I would like to ride it for a change, anyone else? All welcome, dates will be announced soon as planing is completed..
Good riding all
Gerry
Tri4

Next

Return to On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...